Talk

Advanced search

Home-made baby food in the news.

(35 Posts)
JJsandcat Mon 12-Oct-09 15:52:20

women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article6868342.ece#

I do agree with the logic behind it. Good job I never really bothered and went straight for Plum and Ella's kitchen, only cooking stuff myself very sporadically.

What are your thoughts?

PS: This is NOT a slight to all the great Mums out there who cook so well for their LOs, I just couldn't do it and I'm tired of being berated for it.

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Oct-09 15:56:26

Not exactly news, is it?

I only ever fed organic food to my babies,the eldest is now 10.5yo, whether it was home made, or shop bought.

JJsandcat Mon 12-Oct-09 16:00:05

Well, you wouldn't believe how many dirty looks and snidey comments I received from other mums in baby groups, even friends, for feeding my LO out of a pot. I never criticized them but an innocuous pot of Plum had them frothing at the mouths.

belgo Mon 12-Oct-09 16:00:24

I've even been known to feed my babies non organic food from a jar. Smells gross though.

JJsandcat Mon 12-Oct-09 16:01:35

I just think it's everyone's own business but I really dislike the 'holier than thou' attitude of some.

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Oct-09 16:02:01

so, basically someone who works for a baby food company wants us to buy more of her baby food?

cos like, we can't just buy organic foodright?

and read the last paragraph. that makes more sense to me.

i wouldn't take this as any indication that pre-prepared food is better or as good as home made.
they must surely lose a fair bit of goodness being ultra heat treated for example??

sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:03:00

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Oct-09 16:03:38

"Even so, Mole says, cooking organic vegetables at home is still the superior option for parents. Second best, he says, is learning which foods have high residues."

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Oct-09 16:03:58

That is shocking Belgo! shock

I hope you only did it in the privacy of your own home. winkgrin

Re-heating (and keeping food cool)when out and about is a pain, though, jars are so much easier, andcan be eaten...cold. blush

belgo Mon 12-Oct-09 16:05:03

not only cold, but straight from the jar!

belgo Mon 12-Oct-09 16:05:21

saves on washing up!

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Oct-09 16:05:32

well i never needed to heat food when out.

not sure why homemade fgood can't be eaten cold but jar food can???
mine just got a sandwich and a banana!

HeadFairy Mon 12-Oct-09 16:05:48

ds always hated jars, absolutely disgusted by them which was such a pain, it would have been lovely to have been able to just pop open a jar every now and then!

HeadFairy Mon 12-Oct-09 16:06:03

ds always hated jars, absolutely disgusted by them which was such a pain, it would have been lovely to have been able to just pop open a jar every now and then!

Reallytired Mon 12-Oct-09 16:19:16

I don't cook for my baby I cook for my family. It is just as important what I feed my son as my baby daughter.

Parents are made to feel insecure as a diliberate marketing ploy.

Anyway there are no suitable baby foods for baby led weaning.

sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:23:07

Message withdrawn

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 12-Oct-09 16:25:04

"Rather than berate mothers, maybe they should be berating the food industry that allows all this crap to be sprayed on fruit and vegetables?"

Agree.

"jars are so much easier, and can be eaten...cold."

Is there some reason you think homemade food can't be eaten cold?? Or straight from the pot?? Bizarre.

As an aside, those pouches from Ella's kitchen can be squirted directly into your baby's mouth without need for spoon or jar. Allegedly. [cough]

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 12-Oct-09 16:25:48

I think it is just another way to dress up the issue that organic food has had its day and is no better for anybody than the bog standard stuff ...

Thankfully both my DC are over the weaning stage and I do admit that there were times that I was quite grateful to have a bottle on standby when we had days from hell ...

hocuspontas Mon 12-Oct-09 16:32:35

Why are we encouraged to buy stuff in plastic containers and pouches when homemade food doesn't add to landfill?

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Oct-09 16:35:12

ADragonIs4Life, if baby food contains chicken,for example, it really need to be kept cold for health and safely reasons. A jar can be kept at room temperature, or even at nice warm car temperature.

I don't know why I'm even posting on this thread - baby weaning is my least favourite topic ever, and I never intend to wean a baby again. Also, I could't give a stuff what anybody else chooses to feed their baby.(Within reason, obviously)

Mine had mostly homemade, as I enjoyed cooking for them (I still love making apple puree,and vegetable soup, but then maybe I'm wierd), and also the odd pot of commercial stuff. Always organic.

thedollshouse Mon 12-Oct-09 16:37:30

I would never berate any mother for using jars, I have more important things to worry about. However I was slightly annoyed by this article and I don't strictly agree with it. I homemade nearly everything when ds was a baby because I enjoyed doing it and it gave me something to do. Always used organic ingredients. There wasn't the range of alternatives that there is these days, it was all heinz and farley gloopy products, manufacturers like Ellas Kitchen and Babylicious were not readily available then.

I am pregnant again and am planning on homemaking most of the babies meals but I was thinking of using non organic products because they are cheaper and there has been quite a lot of research that suggests that organic isn't necessarily any better, I'm not as convinced of the benefits of organic food as I was a few years ago.

I will supplement by babies diet with food from some of the latest ranges to make life easier when I am in a rush but the bulk of the food will be home made.

I'm annoyed that this article was presented as "news" when clearly it is nothing more than an advertising ploy by the manufacturers of organic baby food products. If anything it puts me off buying their products as I don't appreciate scaremongering. hmm

PoisonToadstool Mon 12-Oct-09 16:39:57

Why is promoting the idea that you can make your life infinitely easier, by simply feeding your baby what you eat, called 'berating mothers'?

DS didn't have jars but nor have I pureed a bloody carrot in my life.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with jars, I just think they're bit superfluous, and they don't half love promoting early weaning - like they're above the DoH.

AtheneNoctua Tue 13-Oct-09 06:11:42

I don't know. What does OFSTED say? Do you think we should be trusted to cook food on our own without some kind of nanny state fee paying license and barage of background checks on not onlyus but all of the people who worked on the farm that grew the food?

thedollshouse Tue 13-Oct-09 10:10:42

Its just a matter of time Athene.

3littlefrogs Tue 13-Oct-09 10:15:24

I am so thankful I had my first child 20 years ago. I just cooked everything without salt - they had what we were having, just squished up a bit, until they didn't need it squished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now