Talk

Advanced search

woman cooks her 3 week old baby

(37 Posts)
shalaa Fri 10-Jun-05 19:33:06

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050608/2/un0y.html

I can't stop crying, sorry if this story upsets anyone. Why wasn't this woman under care? She had a history for gods sake.

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 19:40:14

I wish I hadn't read that. I knew I shouldn't.

Hulababy Fri 10-Jun-05 19:42:20

OMG, that is horrendous.

Mud Fri 10-Jun-05 19:46:24

this is exactly the kind of story I was bothered about when I posted why do people feel the need to share distressing news stories

I find it unecessary to share the shock and distress tbh, there are no learning curves to be made there is just car-crash voyeurism

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 19:50:11

You're right, Mud, there's no discussion to be had about this. It's terribly sad and absolutely horrific, but what else can we say apart from that?

Miaou Fri 10-Jun-05 19:50:41

Hmm, better not read my new thread then Mud - ie the one entitled "warning - this thread is morbid and depressing"

hunkermunker Fri 10-Jun-05 19:50:57

Thought of you, Mud, and the thread you'd started when I saw this post. And am definitely not reading the story.

shalaa Fri 10-Jun-05 19:51:53

I knew you'd reply, this forum is called "In the News" this was in the news. Nobody forces anyone to read this, are we only meant to feature stories that are happy?? Sorry but the world isn't like that.

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:55:05

i dont want to read the story but by posting that title i dont need to

shalaa Fri 10-Jun-05 19:55:11

Read what 'handlemecarefully ' posted on your thread Mud, that's why I posted. Believe it or not I didn't want to start a big debate, I was upset about the story and hoped someone else had seen/heard it.

cat82 Fri 10-Jun-05 20:22:28

I'm sorry guys but i do agree with Shalaa. This part of MN is called "in the news" it's where people read, comment and debate issues that have come up.

I can't believe what i just read, but i did read it. I am amazed this woman did not get any help at all, i think that this is an issue for all us mums to talk about!

(please don't flame me, don't want to make anyone annoyed )

weesaidie Fri 10-Jun-05 20:28:15

That is awful awful awful.

Am so depressed now. Shouldn't have read it.

chicagomum Fri 10-Jun-05 20:40:55

like cat82 i don't want to antagonise anyone but, shalaa, if you don't want to discuss/debate this article why post about it?

milge Fri 10-Jun-05 20:44:00

I didn't agree with Mud on the earlier thread, but now am a convert - really didn't want to know this, and afaik, no learning point for us all to use from this story.

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 20:44:43

Does this kind of story really raise issues though? Or does it just cause upset when people who might not want to read about it, or even know about it, can't avoid this thread title?

weesaidie Fri 10-Jun-05 20:47:08

I do feel that I didn't want to know but I was drawn in. Really should have stopped myself. Still that is my own fault, I guess some people may be interested in having a discussion?

charleepeters Fri 10-Jun-05 20:47:30

that is sick, i dont care how mental you are you dont do that to a baby that woman need locking up.

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 20:52:04

What's to discuss, weesadie? It's horrific, it's devastatingly saddening; no-one would doubt that the woman needs help, and probably should have had it years ago - but there's nothing that we can learn from it, nothing to change the outcome of it, nothing to be gained from dissecting this horrible thing. It's not a news story that really lends itself to debate.

cat82 Fri 10-Jun-05 20:57:52

Hmmm, interesting WigWamBam. The thread title was why i looked. The thing is it couldn't be more obvious what the story is about. You also have to cut and paste the link, not just click on it. I, personaly, was very interested in the womans circumstances, Shalaa put "why wasn't this woman under care?" That made me want to read it, not for the Details as such but just being interested in how this could have happened.
Not sure if anyone watched the "tonight with Trevor McDonal" programme on PN depression, but there was s ection in that, where a woman couldn't get help for 2 years and in the end called the NSPCT saying she was going to kill herself and her baby if she wasn't given help.
I currently do have PND and can kind of understand her desperation. I know it may not be the same thing but it does make interested in how society does seem to be failing those who genuinly need help.
(obviously this woman was schizophrenic not just PND which does change things, but like Shalaa says, "why on earth wasn't she given the help she so obiously needed?)

I think that's what drew me to this thread.

Not wanting a heated discussion as such, as this just stirred things in my own mind. Perhaps i should've started my own thread.

Again, no offence/aggro intented at all.

weesaidie Fri 10-Jun-05 20:58:10

WWB - no I totally agree with you. All I meant was maybe others see something in it?

I don't and all it has done for me is lower my mood hugely.

chicagomum Fri 10-Jun-05 21:09:52

the thing that upsets me about stories like this that are reported in the news is the way the "gory details" are given, i understand the need for people to be kept informed of whats going on in the world but sometimes feel they are sensationalizing them to get a reaction (prob pandering to the carcrash mentality mentioned earlier by mud) the fact that an innocent child lost their life is horrendous but the exact details of what happen don't really need to be made public. (or maybe i'm just to sensitive since having kids)

ChaCha Sat 11-Jun-05 10:20:18

I haven't read the story - I don't want to.
The title was given to enable us to make a choice - 'Do we want to open this and read or not'? I chose not to - surely we are all able to make that decision.

Louise1980 Sat 11-Jun-05 10:22:01

Dare I read this?

Louise1980 Sat 11-Jun-05 10:26:03

Well it was in the hands of the WWW and it wouldnt let me visit the page. Im not morbid and Im bound to cry but I didnt have to read it if I didnt want to. I had the option and I made my choice.

Mud does that mean I should not have posted whan I hit my son? It was a cry for help oin my part and I think people should be aware of things like this. If you didnt want to read you shouldnt have

charliecat Sat 11-Jun-05 10:26:21

Why is it on the Austrailian news when it happened in the UK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now