Talk

Advanced search

Highly offensive advert for breast cancer awareness

(48 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 06-Oct-09 10:24:34

Take a look at this I can't hear the sound so it is probably worse than I think. I'm not sure if it's UK or US advert.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 06-Oct-09 10:28:44

It's a US ad. That doesn't surprise me.

gorionine Tue 06-Oct-09 10:29:29

There is only music all the way through the end and then I lady says the name of whatewer is written on the girl's chest.

It is hidious!

gorionine Tue 06-Oct-09 10:30:13

Just like my spelling really!blush

thedollshouse Tue 06-Oct-09 10:33:27

I don't like sexist adverts but I didn't think it was that bad and on the plus side it is designed to appeal to younger girls which is a good thing as it makes me aware that cancer isn't just something that happens to older women.

By the way there was no commentary just background music.

thedollshouse Tue 06-Oct-09 10:34:04

makes them aware not me.

Bleatblurt Tue 06-Oct-09 10:34:49

But that ad seems aimed at young men not at younger women.

travellingwilbury Tue 06-Oct-09 10:36:03

That is horrible , I would hate to see what kind of advert they would do for ovarian or cervical cancers .

thedollshouse Tue 06-Oct-09 10:38:14

Thats not a bad thing butterball if it makes men more observant and understanding about breast cancer.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 06-Oct-09 10:41:44

So we should appeal to mens' stupidity to make them aware of a cancer which is the second biggest killer of women? I'm afraid I see two problems with that - either men really are that moronic that they don't care about women (their mothers, sisters, wives) dying of cancer and need to have it pointed out to them that breast cancer means bye bye boobies, or we assume they are that moronic which only serves to infantilise adult men further and excuse woeful immatiruty with the assumption that that's 'just how men are'.

gorionine Tue 06-Oct-09 10:42:43

thedollshouse, making men aware is one thing but this add seems to implie it has more to do with a woman looking beautufull and sexy than actually telling them anything about breast cancer.

thedollshouse Tue 06-Oct-09 10:43:39

I don't like the advert but if I'm honest I can't really see what the fuss is about.

gorionine Tue 06-Oct-09 10:45:12

Would be an ad for plastic surgey maybe but definitely not as breast cancer awareness IMHO.

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 10:47:29

Not entirerly sure what the purpose of the ad is

Is it promoting some charity/awareness thing?

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 10:48:50

Great advert, we're all talking about it and so will everyone else who's seen it.

Bit like smoking ads, the ones that stopped me were the ones that said I would have bad breath not the ones that said I would get lung cancer. Perhaps young girls are more afraid than not having perfect breasts than dying?

Highly infectious not offensive.

SardineQueen Tue 06-Oct-09 10:49:10

The article underneath says it all. esp:
"However devastating mastectomies may be, the somewhat larger point here is that breast cancer equals fewer awesome women. And if that point is lost on Dude Nation, the problem is not with the ads, it's with a culture that says women's primary value lies in our sexuality. I mean, seriously, is it even possible to illustrate that any more clearly? Dead human beings of the female persuasion = meh. Lost tits = crisis!"

gorionine Tue 06-Oct-09 10:53:01

Maybe I should have read the articleblush! You make the point perfectly Sardinequeen!

SardineQueen Tue 06-Oct-09 10:53:08

The only good thing I can see in the ad is that the woman's breasts are real, they don't appear to be made of plastic.

Miggsie Tue 06-Oct-09 10:55:16

I wonder what the equivalent for testicular cancer would be?

I suppose this advert is trying to appeal to that section of the male population who won't let their wife/GF have their breasts or vagina checked for cancer becasue they don't want another man seeing her bits. These are men who would rather their woman died than recieve medical care.

I'd prefer to remove the men with that attitude myself.

Ah well.

SardineQueen Tue 06-Oct-09 10:56:30

miggsie I was just thinking that about testicular cancer grin

MaMight Tue 06-Oct-09 10:58:01

"I wonder what the equivalent for testicular cancer would be?"

Save The Scrotum!!

[doubtful]

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 11:03:28

testicular cancer advert

MorphFan Tue 06-Oct-09 11:04:54

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer - but even if I hadn't I would still find that ad in extremely bad taste.

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 11:07:09

Morph, what if it made girls examine their breasts? Would the means justify the end?

SardineQueen Tue 06-Oct-09 11:10:51

So advert to raise breast cancer awareness involes a hot woman - and advert to raise testicular cancer awaresness involves a hot women hmm

I hoped it would be a muscular hunk feeling himself up but there you go...

Morph that is terrible news. Yes the advert is in appallingly bad taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now