Talk

Advanced search

Fashionistas are the new blacks? Really, Liz?

(10 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 05-Oct-09 10:12:46

I think she has singlehandedly redefined solipsism for the 21st century.

Here comes a pronouncement that is going to get me hung, drawn and quartered by the people at Private Eye and the Observer who love to document what I spend on clothes and accessories but always fail to mention the £20,000 I've given to charity in the past two years.
That is how much I'm giving now, before what will soon be a 50 per cent tax rate; ye gods, I hate to think what is happening to most charities in this country at the moment. Equine Market Watch, of which I am patron, has seen a 50 per cent drop in donations so far this year, despite a huge increase in the number of horses and ponies being discarded.
Here we go with that pronouncement anyway: fashionistas are the new black people, the new Irish people, the new Muslims and the new fatties.
(Do not, on any account, criticise a 22-stone single mother on benefits for refusing to buy organic chicken, as I did a year or so ago when commending Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's campaign for more ethical poultry farming; I mean, come on, that single mum spends far more on food in a month than I, as a skinny fan of Fendi and Ferretti, do in a year. Nonetheless, I'm still recycling all the hate mail I received in response to my comments.)
Fashionistas, though? Fair game. 'You spend £200 on skin cream?!!!!' a friend, who has a 12-year-old son who is the owner of a Nintendo DS, Xbox, Wii, iPod Touch, Apple MacBook Pro and more pairs of trainers than I have handbags, had the cheek to reprimand me the other day while out shopping.
Well, I'm sick of it, not least because to criticise those who like fashion is not only unfair, it's sexist.
If Sarah Brown had given a party for the car industry and arrived in a shiny Aston Martin, or for the agricultural industry and arrived on the back of a heavily subsidised cow, we'd all be patting her on the back.
What confidence would be instilled in the rest of us if Gordon Brown turned up for the G20 summit in a baseball cap and a pair of baggy jeans from Primark?

OnlyQuoteMeInTheTelegraph Mon 05-Oct-09 10:14:00

She's a self-obsessed idiot

CatIsSleepy Mon 05-Oct-09 10:16:21

Liz who?

my heart bleeds for the poor oppressed darling whoever she is grin

charis Mon 05-Oct-09 10:18:23

It is not illegal to be a bit dim. And I am quite happy for the woman to spend her money however she wants. She probably just doesn't understand what she is saying.

I weep for her as she puts on such a brave face while the cruel world opresses her.

onebatmother Mon 05-Oct-09 10:20:48

keraaaayzee ladee, huh?

I find it quite painful tbh. She seems driven to be disliked, like the unpopular child at school who would be really annoying on purpose because anything was better than being ignored.

Either that or she has an excellent business plan and will have retired in two years on teh vast profits creamed from her contrarian babble.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 05-Oct-09 12:33:16

She's saying that women who spend lots of money on fripperies are oppressed to the extent that ethnic minorities have been oppressed historically?

Really?

What?

PeachyTentativelyPosting Mon 05-Oct-09 12:39:27

'that single mum spends far more on food in a month than I, as a skinny fan of Fendi and Ferretti, do in a year. er yes becuase deep fried potatoes cost soooo much don't they?hmm

I started thinking daft cow from another world, ended up thinking clever bitch who is raking it in whilst we fume. You'd ahev to be far too stupid to be priinted to think fasdhionistas are oppressed in the same manner as black people (you can just see the supermodels coming in on their slave ships waving their handbags and working at the cotton farm in their 6" high heeled Jimmy Choo sandals can't you.....)

cynical, ridiculous piece by someone with no sense of her own insignificance in this world

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 05-Oct-09 12:44:17

See, if I thought she was cynically trying to generate controversy I would just roll my eyes and ignore it.
But I think the poor deluded woman actually believes it.

nooka Tue 06-Oct-09 03:21:22

Perhaps she has made some interesting business out of recycling hate mail and had run out? I don't know which Liz this is, but I do wonder whether her charity expenses are part of tax management, and as in order to pay 50% tax she needs to earn at least 150k per year, then she's not exactly beggering herself for her horses is she?

MrsMerryHenry Wed 07-Oct-09 11:31:30

I am almost speechless. As a fat, black, Irish Muslim I am offended to the core.

Seriously, though - this woman is such a moron, why does she get paid to write this crap?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now