Talk

Advanced search

Caitlin Moran - mentalist feminist icons

(19 Posts)
Monkeytrews Sun 04-Oct-09 17:42:11

I enjoyed this. I think she has a point too. If I am honest, the women who had most inflence on me when growing up as Sue Ellen Ewing! grin

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/caitlin_moran/article6856945.ece

edam Sun 04-Oct-09 17:43:41

And did you grow up to acquire an alcohol addiction and marry a Texan oil baron who despite his millions still lives with his Mommy?

Monkeytrews Sun 04-Oct-09 18:23:58

never got the attraction to JR

LeninsGhost Mon 05-Oct-09 19:36:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peggotty Mon 05-Oct-09 19:49:03

I had a little cut out picture of Toyah that I kept in my bedside drawer when I was about 8!!
Funnily enough I remember reading an interview Caitlin Moran did with Courtney Love in, I think, Melody Maker, many years ago. CM must have only been in her teens at the time, and it was obvious she idolised her!

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Mon 05-Oct-09 19:57:04

Caitlin Moran is getlosing her edge. She used to be my hero - would get the Times delvered to my bed by DH with a cup of tea every Monday just to read her column grin, but hse has defi itely gone down hill recently. Today's article on bacon was unreadable. sad

LeninsGhost Mon 05-Oct-09 19:57:12

Slubberdegullion Mon 05-Oct-09 20:20:59

<lowers the tone>

For several years the woman who I most wanted to be in the whole world ever was Princess from Battle of the Planets.

Sometimes in quiet private moments I still like to imagine that one day I will be her.

Monkeytrews Tue 06-Oct-09 12:15:30

Oh, you just sparked a memory for me Slubber.

I liked Electra in the comics. She could kill someone just by pointing at them. Terrible but beautiful grin

Monkeytrews Tue 06-Oct-09 12:17:06

on the same theme, whoever wanted to be Thelma from Scooby Do or Lacey from Cagney and Lacey - as kids not now!

LeninGhoul Tue 06-Oct-09 14:22:29

Monkeytrousers Wed 07-Oct-09 09:31:28

She was a wino too. A pattern is forming!

PuppyMonkey Wed 07-Oct-09 09:36:14

My feminist icon was always the character played by Julia Sawahla (sp) from Press Gang, the school newspaper editor. She kicked ass!

Monkeytrousers Wed 07-Oct-09 09:39:10

Do you think Lassie counts?

Monkeytrousers Wed 07-Oct-09 09:39:37

Oh, Jamie Sommers!

Boco Wed 07-Oct-09 09:41:44

I wanted to be Lacey. And I wanted Cagney to be my mum.

PuppyMonkey Wed 07-Oct-09 09:43:11

Lynda Day... from Press Gang... that's her!

Snowtiger Wed 07-Oct-09 09:45:58

PuppyMonkey you and me both! Lynda, Julia Sawalha's character in Press Gang was exactly who I wanted to be, and on occasion still do. And she got to snog Dexter Fletcher.
On a bonkers day, Tori Amos, Kate Bush or PJ Harvey are also up there in the Snowtiger pantheon of wonderfully bonkers (but bossy, creative and opinionated) women!

SkaterGrrrrl Thu 08-Oct-09 15:03:13

My little sister was lucky enough to have Buffy and Xena on tv when she was a kid!

If I had to pick one now I'd say... the cool lesbian cop on The Wire, she kicks ass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now