Talk

Advanced search

Yet another account of a pregnant woman being treated like an idiot -

(14 Posts)
Bigmouthstrikesagain Sun 04-Oct-09 12:04:37

oh my word

his time by an ill informed cheese counter assitant! I don't know how I would have reacted - I would like to think I would have given the patronising woman a lesson in manners and ante natal nutrition! But more likely I would have gone red and run to the toilets to cryblushsad

KimiTheThreadSlayingAxeKiller Sun 04-Oct-09 12:09:14

Dear me there are some stupid people out there

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Sun 04-Oct-09 15:25:13

I can't stand this type of little hitler jobsworth, who does she think she fkg is?? Similar kind of rubbish as having to prove you're over 25 to buy alcohol angry

Bigmouthstrikesagain Sun 04-Oct-09 15:47:45

I don't mind prooving my age to buy alcohol (I would be delighted that the shortsighted conscientious check out assistant thought I might be under 25!).

However the thought that someone working on a deli counter in sainsburys could consider themselves empowered to lecture me on what I am allowed to buy/ eat while pregnant is repugnant! And she was incorrect so adding injury to insult.

edam Sun 04-Oct-09 16:03:49

Great letter of complaint from the would-be cheese buyer. Think deli counter assistant will be keeping quiet from now on!

funtimewincies Sun 04-Oct-09 20:10:44

Almost as annoying as the people who watch you trying to reach or lift something and then pipe up with a smug little smile 'should you be doing that in your condition?'.

Probably not, but no sign of any help from you though angry!

sherby Mon 05-Oct-09 09:34:52

I had this in Waitrose yesterday, the lady on the till asked me if I knew I wasn't supposed to eat pate whilst pregnant.

Which almost superseded the 17yr old boy cleaning the spa the other day, who asked me in front of about 20 other people 'you do know your not supposed to be in here when your pregnant don't you' 'and I saw you going into the steam roon' hmm

DH literally had to hold me back grin on leaving I was told I would need to produce a doctors note if I wanted to come back again

IvaNighSpare Mon 05-Oct-09 10:10:51

Oh I would have been so tempted to retort that the cheese was a perfect complement to the White Lightning cider and Woodbine roll-ups I had waiting for me at home.....

LaurieFairyCake Mon 05-Oct-09 10:14:24

I think we ought to run a campaign on the board so that all pregnant women know to say this phrase:

<puzzled> "I'm not pregnant, give me my cheese/pate/alcohol"

and keep saying that even if you go into labour in the shop.

When I was in hospital on the gynae ward there was a 58 year old woman with a giant pregnant stomache - only she wasn't, it was a giant ball of hair/teeth etc.

LadyoftheBathtub Mon 05-Oct-09 10:16:14

Actually I don't mind the odd pregnancy food fascist because I'm so forgetful. On several occasions I could have done with a nosy waiter or shop assistant saying "Caesar salad? (rare duck/brie sandwich etc etc) - not in your condition madam!" - would have saved me many days of angst.

But I agree if you're going to give a pregnant woman such a "helpful" reminder, at least get your facts right...

CarmenSanDiego Mon 05-Oct-09 10:17:17

Annoying for her but this sounds like a bit of a storm in a teacup. The cheese counter lady sounds a bit elderly if she's going on about 'in her day' and was probably well-meaning if mistaken about the cheese and wrong to say she couldn't have it.

I don't really understand why the server talking about what happened in her day or saying she was lucky to have good information was 'patronising.' In fact, that sounds to me like the server was acknowledging the pregnant woman's knowledge was better than her own.

What a weird article. 'Slight misunderstanding at the cheese counter with batty old lady and pregnant woman'

Is it really newsworthy?

But by the sound of things she actually refused to sell the cheese to Mrs Lehain unless she promised she wasn't going to eat any of it. That goes beyond well-meaning and into officious, and was also against store policy.

As Sainsbury's said "It is not our policy to refuse sale of goods on grounds that they may be unsuitable for pregnant women, although we do ask our colleagues to make customers aware if there are any safety concerns."

CarmenSanDiego Mon 05-Oct-09 11:05:12

Yeah, I take your point Prof Layton (nice hat but not sure about all that roaming around the place with young boys!)

Although the way I read it, after initially refusing to sell her the cheese, the seller was put right. From that point on, I don't see what was so patronising. Then it just seems to dissolve into chat about 'in my day' which the pregnant woman took offense at. But the report is so poorly written it's not that clear.

Bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 05-Oct-09 17:25:37

Well I was surprised that it made the front page!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now