Talk

Advanced search

Toddler killed by mother's boyfriend, she gets a suspended sentence

(16 Posts)
fifitot Fri 02-Oct-09 20:44:55

FFS. Weeks of abuse and a 2 year old dies. The mother leaves her child in the care of some drugged up fcuk and the probation report indicates to the court that she is a danger to children. Yet the judge ignores this and says she was a 'loving mother'......

Words fail me. Probation officers don't write these things lightly believe me. Loving mother my arse.

fifitot Fri 02-Oct-09 20:50:07

Poor kid had already been in hospital with suspect injuries. Social services were told by the mother that she wouldn't leave her child alone with the partner anymore. They were allowed to take him home.

FFS how many more!!!!!!! Sorry I am venting and i know this debate about social services has raged on here for months but the lives some children leave all in the name of family rehabilitation.

It has to end.

Tryharder Fri 02-Oct-09 22:43:17

Was discussing this just now with DH.

Didn't the canoeist who faked his death for an insurance scam get more years in prison than this man? I would like to think that the authorities have learned from BabyP case but sadly not.

One would like to imagine that this sad, pathetic excuse of a woman regrets her actions but she's still free to go down the pub, get pissed and find another waste of space boyfriend to shag so she'll be OK. angry

johnhemming Sun 04-Oct-09 08:49:51

The other question here is "where is the serious case review?"

I presume the social workers in Runcorn were busy harrassing some poor victim of DV.

I have been reviewing Serious Case Reviews across England and Cheshire have not reported one for a death in November 2007.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8286858.stm

SardineQueen Sun 04-Oct-09 08:57:10

tryharder the difference in sentences (sp) between crimes against the person and crimes involving money always baffles and upsets me.

You get more for robbing a house than raping someone, doing an insurance scam than killing a child etc.

It says a lot about the priorities of the powerful people (lawmakers) in this country. Really depressing.

johnhemming Sun 04-Oct-09 09:05:09

I agree with sardinequeen that the sense of priorities is odd.

sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 09:17:40

Message withdrawn

WineBeforePearls Sun 04-Oct-09 09:20:14

Leaving aside the mother's part, how is that he only gets 6 years for murder?

ConFuschias Sun 04-Oct-09 09:53:17

Agree SardineQueen. It is so wrong ad back to front. The laws and sentencing guidelines seem to be based on the premise that benefitting financially from a crime is the worst thing you can do. When really a lot of these crimes are "victimless"

(I know they're not really victimless, they cost corporations money and this might lead to redundancies etc, but I would rather lose my job many times over than have this happen to another poor child)

fifitot Sun 04-Oct-09 12:09:24

He was found guilty of manslaughter. They probably couldn't prove intent therefore the lesser charge.

I don't know enough about the case but seems like a cock up again. Child in hospital for suspect injuries, the mother says she will keep the child away from her partner who is a suspect and of course she doesn't.

What really gets me is that the probation report stated she would continue to present a risk to children yet the judge ignored this evidence and also accepted the defences view that the male who killed the toddler was just 'over disciplining' when in fact on the face of it it looked like systematic abuse.

Ridiculous judge.

SardineQueen Sun 04-Oct-09 12:25:13

Yes fifi i noticed that too and read the part out to DH with a WTF voice...

"Judge Mr Justice Ouseley, sentencing, described her as "a victim" and suspended her six-month sentence for two years.

He told Davenport he had a problem controlling his temper, but that he was not sadistic.

"You did what you did because you couldn't control your temper and because you thought hitting a child was an appropriate way to dish out physical punishment or discipline," he said. "

The child had bite marks on him matching the man's teeth FFS. In what world is biting a child a normal way of punishing them?

Eitehr they had fantastic lawyers or the judge was a loon.

chegirl Sun 04-Oct-09 18:28:51

Read a court report in our local paper.

A tiny baby was subjected to sustained violent abuse from mother's boyfriend. The baby looked like 'it had been in a car crash'.

He was charged with ABH FFS. He got ..wait for it..... 51 weeks suspended for 3 years and 100 hrs community service.

The [baby's] mother is quoted as saying 'I think the sentence is too harsh'.

Bloody hell. I am not a hang em high sort of person and I do not automatically think everyone who commits a crime is evil or whatever but

bloody hell.

This child has been treated as if he doesnt matter by the justice system and his stupid arse mother.

Who knows where the poor bugger is know. He wouldve been hanging around in the care system waiting for the court case. Because he has suffered this abuse and his prognosis will probably be 'uncertain' he may well never be adopted.

It just goes on and on....

WineBeforePearls Sun 04-Oct-09 18:33:10

so beating a child to death just equals 'over disciplining'??

WTF

fifitot Sun 04-Oct-09 18:41:57

The attitude of the judge in this case mirrors how many see domestic violence. As a loss of temper rather than systematic, planned and controlled abuse.

If it was a one off maybe you could say it was a loss of control. No over weeks.

SardineQueen Sun 04-Oct-09 19:38:17

chegirl that is apalling.

There is a lot wrong with how this country views crimes of this type IMO. No wonder no-one reports rapes. Women know there's absolutely no bloody point.

sarah293 Mon 05-Oct-09 08:59:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now