Talk

Advanced search

OMG - Gordon Brown will scrap Nursery Vouchers

(159 Posts)
rob1974 Tue 29-Sep-09 13:51:15

BBC says here that Gordon Brown is going to scrap childcare vouchers:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8279701.stm

We get two lots of vouchers and save about £150 a month. There's no way we'll both be able to keep working if they scrap them.

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 13:53:09

Yikes - I guess that would be all top rate tax payers

<ties own tubes up>

cleanandclothed Tue 29-Sep-09 13:53:48

I know - I saw this. I am stopping myself panicing until he actually gives the speech. And then hoping it is just a policy announcement rather than actually going to go through legislation soon.

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 13:54:59

The trouble is that, it doesn't matter HOW they do it, we are ALL going to see THOUSANDS shaved off the money we have each year

There is no way around it

This is as good as anything

ClaireDeLoon Tue 29-Sep-09 13:55:23

OMG if that is true it is ridiculous

fishie Tue 29-Sep-09 13:55:52

o FUCKING HELL that is so FUCKING IRRITATING. we earn just over the threshold for tax credits i would be better off if dh gave up work.

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 13:56:26

WHY is it ridiculous?

How would you prefer to contruibute 5k a year to the national debt? Lose your job? Get rid of the NHS?

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 29-Sep-09 13:57:20

thanks the lord dd has started school and finally a bright side to secondary infertility.

gordon brown for example is a twat

fishie Tue 29-Sep-09 13:58:08

but putting 2yos in pre-school for 2 hours a day isn't gonig to solve anything is it?

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 29-Sep-09 13:58:55

i would prefer if all the top bankers were flayed and their skins fashioned into high end designer handbags and sold to service the debt.

ComeOveneer Tue 29-Sep-09 13:59:28

The way things are going the better off will end up paying shed loads in taxes and being entitled to nothing from it!!! angry

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 29-Sep-09 14:00:27

i don't mind payin gmore tax but i do think it is counter productive to force middle income parents out of the job market.

stealthsquiggle Tue 29-Sep-09 14:00:48

AAAAAAAAAGH.

Well if he wants to tip the balance into making me give up work and "scrounge off the state" then this would be a good way to go.

Just to be clear, though - is this salary sacrifice vouchers we are talking about or is the "Employer Supported Childcare scheme" something else entirely?

InmyheadIminParis Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:21

Oh noooooooo. We'd just got the vouchers all sorted. Doooom.

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:41

This is NOTHING

This is a teeny tiny drop in the ocean of the next few years

"Put it this way – if basic rate income tax was increased by 5p, we closed the Foreign Office, stopped giving any international aid, disbanded the army, the navy, the air force and the police, and closed every school in the country – we would still have a budget deficit."

Miggsie Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:47

This is awful...I think he should tax fizzy drinks, they are a luxury, and childcare isn't.

fishie Tue 29-Sep-09 14:01:58

i wouldn't call myself the better off end thanks. and of course they won't pay childminder fees for those 10 hours, despite having made them follow curriculum etc. nope it is all into bloody fucking nurseries.

gaytony right with you on the infertility silver lining (eugh, something a bit icky there).

Undercovamutha Tue 29-Sep-09 14:02:11

How are you meant to keep on top of your finances and plan for the future, if the bloody goalposts keep moving!? I for one will likely be buggered if they get rid of CCVs.

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 29-Sep-09 14:02:17

I would prefer to stop funding politicians in jaunts around the world [watched a snippet of panorama last night]
But also enjoying TheBalladofGayTony's suggestion
grin

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 14:02:34

Once Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit are gone you aren't going to be better off giving up your job

ClaireDeLoon Tue 29-Sep-09 14:03:14

It's ridiculous because it is a scheme that helps women stay in work if they choose to, contributing to the economy.

Don't think I'm saying that out of self interest - I don't have children (yet - got a BFP today hurrah) and would never have benefitted as I'm self employed.

I just think it helps give women choices to continue their career if they so choose.

GirlsAreLOud Tue 29-Sep-09 14:03:30

WANKER WANKER WANKER

This is the only thing we are eligible for, we are just over the threshold for every other fecking thing, so get lumped in with the millionaires when it comes to tax credits.

francagoestohollywood Tue 29-Sep-09 14:03:35

what's the income of "better off parents"?

clutteredup Tue 29-Sep-09 14:04:44

Right-
so no more nursery vouchers
- and we can't have mutual arrangements for sharing childcare with friends without paying to be OFSTED registered
- so he wants ALL mums to be out of work does he? I might as well just scrap my job application now.
Also there are going to be a lot of preschools who can just make ends meet who are going to have to close down without the voucher system.
Jolly good then.

morningpaper Tue 29-Sep-09 14:04:45

Congratulations Clair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now