GirlsAreLOud Mon 28-Sep-09 19:38:17

here

(apols for DM link)

2shoes Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:44

poor girl

poor girl & family

Nothing like a good bit of DM scare mongering

hobbgoblin Mon 28-Sep-09 19:54:10

Tis what happens with vaccines. Then DM jumps on it just to give everyone the heebie jeebies or whatever that phrase is.

No disrespect to the family but vaccination programmes are imperfect. Such is life.

Frizbe Mon 28-Sep-09 19:54:26

sad for girl and her family

atlantis Mon 28-Sep-09 20:41:39

With all the terrible information about this vaccine coming from different countries around the world (death, paralysis et) how can anyone actually let their daughter have this?

It does not protect them from cervical cancer across the board and the risk far outweigh the benefits.

I can't believe they went ahead with this after Africa.

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:50:19

Can I just point out the obvious that this girls death and the vaccine are coincidence until proven otherwise by post mortem.

Nothing like a bit of MN scaremongering never mind DM scaremongering, as if there arent enough people on here who are convinced that the government is trying to poison us all with MMR/Swine Flu Vaccine/HPV vaccine etc etc

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 28-Sep-09 20:52:35

The bit where they said the girls parents have been informed of her death was horrible.
Were they not with her?sad

abouteve Mon 28-Sep-09 20:56:31

OMG my DD is due to have this next week. We are seriously considering not having it reading this.

Mamazon Mon 28-Sep-09 20:56:51

This is a tragic story and i hope that it is proven that this death is a freak incident and not to do with the vaccine.

These vaccinations are still very new and they are important. such a scaremongering story is just so unhelpfull when the full facts are unknown.

how many young girls are going to get withdrawn from these vaccines due to this article now?.

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:57:48

well eves daughter for one sad

abouteve why would you remove your daughter from the programme on the basis of that DM piece????

abouteve Mon 28-Sep-09 21:04:46

It's very worrying and I'm seriously thinking about it. It's too new, I would like to find out what happened to this poor girl today.

There are other ways of preventing HPV, condoms until ttc and regular smears.

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:22:35

on reading that piece??? seriously???

so man dies after eating banana = banana killed him and you'll never eat another
woman dies after watching telly all morning = fuck that no more telly for me

if you can find any GOOD medical research to back up that piece of 'reporting' then fine, make a decison on that and use your judgement. Wont you even wait to see if its linked?
Yes its new but thousands of girls have had it already (my dd included) and have survived with no side effects.
Its this type of madness that has increased rates of measles in this country.

dreamylady Mon 28-Sep-09 21:33:07

How awful - whether the vaccine was the cause or not, I expect her parents will always wonder. sad

There's quite a long recent thread on this here anyone who's still considering whether to go ahead with the vaccine.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Mon 28-Sep-09 21:37:20

"When millions of girls are getting jabs, then a one in a million risk becomes a reality several times over."

That could actually be the most sensible thing I've ever read in the DM. shock

abouteve Mon 28-Sep-09 21:38:55

I'm glad that your DD has had this vaccine and is fit and well.

Would you have been happy for it to go ahead after reading this today?

I don't think it's comparable to eating a banana or watching TV tbh, this is a new vaccine and there are risks and side effects reported including deaths. It brings it home reading this so that was a gut reaction earlier.

We are still debating it. It's next Tuesday so we won't know the results of this investigation before then.

wannaBe Mon 28-Sep-09 21:47:32

it's not scaremongering when someone dies after having had a very new vaccine and it is not yet known whether the vaccine was the cause.

I think that until it is known that the vaccine has not caused this the vaccination programme should be halted. To continue to vaccinate young girls with something that could potentially kill them is irresponsible. The fact that thousands of girls have survived is irelevant. If this vaccination has the potential to kill then we need to find out why, and to establish who is at risk.

The vaccination hasn't been available for centuries, a few months more while investigations are carried out isn't going to hurt.

wannaBe Mon 28-Sep-09 21:49:32

and I don't have a daughter but no, if I did, I wouldn't be having her vaccinated until I knew with some certainty that the vaccination was safe.

One death in millions is unfortunate and makes the risk neglidgeable. One death in thousands makes the risks much more real.

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 28-Sep-09 21:52:43

Message withdrawn

GrapefruitMoon Mon 28-Sep-09 21:58:47

I am generally very pro-vaccination but am feeling a bit wobbly about this one now (dd due to have it soon) - I think as they are vaccinating girls before the vast majority are at risk of catching the HPV virus, it might be sensible to suspend the programme until an investigation has been carried out to see if the death is linked to the vaccine. it would not be putting their health at risk to delay the vaccine for a few months.

abouteve Mon 28-Sep-09 22:01:33

Yes these are my thoughts too. Delaying for a while won't be a risk.

TeenageWildlife Mon 28-Sep-09 22:02:01

I am so glad that my daughter and I researched this thoroughly. I started a thread about it because girls havie been dying all over the world and it is under-reported. Those who say "the facts are unknown" need to realize that what is unknown is the long term effects of the jab.
My daughter will not be a guinea pig to find out. I am shocked at the reactions of some of the idiots on here.

This is BBC news - what a shame the DM were first.

2shoes Mon 28-Sep-09 22:02:09

I am so glad that dd's has been delayed

Sidge Mon 28-Sep-09 22:07:12

We are due to do an HPV session tomorrow - I wonder if it will still go ahead? I foresee an urgent meeting at work in the morning.

This is terribly sad sad

I wonder what caused the poor girl's death? It's incredibly rare to have an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine I believe, and the nurses would have had adrenaline there. Such a sad story, I do hope the parents get some answers before too long.

abouteve Mon 28-Sep-09 22:07:53

It's on ITV news in a minute. I might have been one of the posters who said we'd signed the form on your thread Teenagewildlife, I must admit I hadn't researched it properly and trusted it was safe.

DD says there are three jabs on the programme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now