Talk

Advanced search

Scan reveals rare double pregnancy for American woman

(7 Posts)
PortAndLemon Mon 28-Sep-09 12:31:08

Today's word of the day is superfetation!

5inthebed Mon 28-Sep-09 12:35:15

I read this over the weekend. How scary for her. Do they go with the EDD of the first or second twin though?

I can remember this happening to a friend of my mams (about 15 years ago). Her daughters were born premature, and unfortunately the younger twin was too small to survive sad.

PortAndLemon Mon 28-Sep-09 12:36:53

Sounds as though they are likely to deliver them both at 38 weeks for the older baby and 36 weeks for the younger.

5inthebed Mon 28-Sep-09 12:37:56

Well thats not too bad then, keeping them both in as long as possible.

PinkTulips Mon 28-Sep-09 12:46:24

cool!

must have been a shock though.

how can they be so sure that the second one was from a separate conception though, is there not a possibility it could be a twin developing slowly for whatever reason... my scan dates were pretty far off in a couple of my pregs, i'm convinced they were over 2 weeks out with ds1 at the 20 week scan and i'm pretty sure they were a week wrong with dd at a 9 weeks scan

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 28-Sep-09 13:45:55

I can't see how this is that rare tbh. I have heard about it before and I conceived twins and a single baby myself within a month.

Nancy66 Mon 28-Sep-09 13:53:35

I heard two separate British experts talking about this over the weekend and they both said they very much doubted there was separate conception and that it was just a case of twins but with one developing much slower than the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now