loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scan spots women faking orgasms

(18 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 27-Sep-09 07:42:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 07:46:38

I'm not sure that, even with dimmed lighting, with my head stuck in a scanner and a group of people on the other side of the glass, I'd be having an orgasm!

love the socks thing!

LeninGrad Sun 27-Sep-09 09:18:19

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 27-Sep-09 09:20:29

And the point of this research was what, exactly?!

Women will orgasm better if they're not fearful. Get away.

Hassled Sun 27-Sep-09 09:23:08

Who needs romantic lighting and soft music when you could put your head in a scanner? Always does the job for me.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 27-Sep-09 09:40:41

How romantic hmm

Do these 'scientists' have nothing better to do? really?

"let's investigate orgasms" then get to watch couples going at it and get paid for it!

Nice work if you can get it!

LeninGrad Sun 27-Sep-09 09:58:34

theyoungvisiter Sun 27-Sep-09 10:02:29

well dur.

Did they really need an MRI scan to tell them that?

Nothing like an MRI scanner to give you the feeling of being loved and protected grin, I'm surprised any of the people involved could orgasm. Although there are those funny people who are turned on by medical situations, aren't there?

LeninGrad Sun 27-Sep-09 10:05:46

RealityIsAnAuntie Sun 27-Sep-09 10:17:15

Message withdrawn

theyoungvisiter Sun 27-Sep-09 10:31:03

The brain bit is interesting but I would have been astonished if they had the same reactions. After all the people who are not having an orgasm are not having an orgasm grin

It's a bit like being surprised that running a race doesn't use the same bits of the brain as thinking about running a race and pretending you are out of breath.

TotalChaos Sun 27-Sep-09 10:42:34

I'm with Hecate. Surely there's far better use to be made of an MRI scanner than stating the bleeding obvious.

SausageRocket Sun 27-Sep-09 10:43:39

not news

not to most people, anyway.

theyoungvisiter Sun 27-Sep-09 13:00:02

well I expect there will have been a serious point to the investigation - perhaps looking at male and female sexual disfunction and how that might be treated for eg, or people who are unable to achieve orgasm for whatever reason.

But the press release put out by the press team will concentrate on the most newsworthy/easily conveyed part of the research.

You don't normally get grant funding on the basis of a proposal for "frivolous project to state bleeding obvious".

The news story will not necessarily be an accurate reflection of the purpose or extent of the research.

TotalChaos Sun 27-Sep-09 13:06:10

the bmj article on this doesn't seem to reveal any massively worthy reason for the research:-

www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7225/1596

theyoungvisiter Sun 27-Sep-09 13:14:07

this is a different experiment, non? In the BMJ experiment they are looking at images of genitals, not brains. And it dates from 1999.

I can see that actually it might be quite useful to have an MRI image of normal genital function during sex.

It might help you to understand why someone was unable to achieve an erection or an orgasm, and if you understood exactly how the genitals perform during sex it would aid in (for example) performing reconstructive surgery after trauma or cancer.

TotalChaos Sun 27-Sep-09 13:31:14

blush. thanks for pointing out my error about the date and other matters.

StayFrosty Sun 27-Sep-09 13:36:41

am i the only person who read this:

"When you want to make love to a woman, you must give her the feeling of being protected."

and imagined Professor Holstege to be something like an academic version of Swiss Tony?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now