Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

London's Olympic Bid - Anyone care?

(40 Posts)
Earlybird Tue 07-Jun-05 12:21:18

Anyone have any positive or negative feelings about this? I know it's not until 2012, so it's hard to get excited/upset about something that might happen 7 years from now. Most people I know are ambivalent....

Must say if I were an Olympic organiser, I couldn't award the games to Paris. I'd be too afraid of all the various public sector workers going out on strike at the worst possible times to cause maximum disruption.

cod Tue 07-Jun-05 12:21:50

Message withdrawn

milge Tue 07-Jun-05 12:24:09

not really, but if it provides an incentive for safety on the Tube to be improved, then all to the good. Worried about huge cost and where the money will come from? Don't want another Dome fiasco

bran Tue 07-Jun-05 12:28:28

I don't think London will get it, but I think it would be great for this part of London if we did (I'm in Docklands). Especially if they do the fast link to St Pancras as I work between King's Cross and Angel. I don't know if we will still be living here in 2012, but if we are I plan to rent out the flat for a huge sum of money and have a month away somewhere lovely.

zubb Tue 07-Jun-05 12:51:46

I think it would be amazing if London got it - both from a regeneration angle and from a sports one.

I wouldn't award it to Paris (me biased??!!) as the Stade de France is in an isolated out of city position, and they have recently had the World Cup. I'd rule out Madrid as Barcelona had it recently, and New York as they haven't even got a stadium. Don't know much about the Moscow bid.

I'll be on the phone trying to get tickets to any event going if it goes to London.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 07-Jun-05 12:53:16

I really really hope London doesn't get it. And I live close to the potential site. I used to live in Montreal, which had the Olympics yonks ago, and it just meant there were a bunch of badly-built sports facilities in stupid places.

Also, do we need more tourists? I think not.

From what I know, most Londoners don't want the Olympics.

hotmama1 Tue 07-Jun-05 12:54:46

I think it'll be fab if London gets it. DD will be 7 and the bump will be 6 - so would be a fab experience for us all to go. (Would also go to Paris but want to support old London town)

Alannah Tue 07-Jun-05 12:57:24

I think it could be a good thing. Barcelona regenerated itself beautifully for their olympics and the result was some great town planning and stunning architecture (although there was a tradition of that there already)

cupcakes Tue 07-Jun-05 12:59:43

I would love London to get it - although I don't live in London so can't appreciate how that would affect me. I think we need things like this to get excited about!

Gwenick Tue 07-Jun-05 13:17:54

I think Manchester should be having the chance at it - they did a fabulous job of the Commenwealth Games and that gives them a good 'track record'.

But I DO hope that London gets it, I think these days they put more thought into the buildings they build (?) and think more about the regeneration of the 'area' as opposed to the just the building site than they did in 1976....

Another reason is that I'd LOVE to take the DS's to see it, DS1 will be 11/12 (not sure 'when' it will be held in 2012) and DS2 9 so great ages for them to really appreciate it.

And the Olympics is a 'special' time for me now as my waters broke on September 15th 2000 (about 11am) during the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympics, and I watched nearly all of it as DS1 never slept and was constantly on the breast

Lizzylou Tue 07-Jun-05 13:20:01

Agree Gwenick, the Commonwealth games in Manchester were fantastic and so well done........it brought a massive buzz to the city!
It would be great for Lodnon to get the games...but perhaps they should be a little bit more inclusive of the rest of Britain in order to get everyone behind the bid????!!

donnie Tue 07-Jun-05 13:22:09

I hope London does get it, although it will probably be Paris. It would be a great boost for the city although I don't think the tube system really stands up to scrutiny!

Blackduck Tue 07-Jun-05 13:22:46

Hope we don't get it...London gets all the infrastructure, all of us get the bill.....look how long it has taken other cities to pay it off...Paris can have it...

zubb Tue 07-Jun-05 13:23:28

Lizzylou - they have some other sites outside London - Weymouth will host all the sailing for example.
Gwenick - I think I read somewhere that the IOC look more favourably on capital cities now - although with the US that wouldn't work.

Gwenick Tue 07-Jun-05 13:25:50

London gets all the infrastructure, all of us get the bill..

BUT people don't just come to the UK to visit London, many people do 'whistle stop tours' of the UK, especially when they're travelling from a long distance, and therefore LOTS of areas of the UK would benefit

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 13:28:44

actually I'd quite like it to be London (but I'm far enough away not to be affected by the negatives). To be fair, they have tried bids from provincial cities a couple of times (birmingham and manchester) but I think they have recognised that none of them really have the international kudos needed to sell the idea.
Of course it will be Paris. But they don't deserve it

Blackduck Tue 07-Jun-05 13:28:55

I'm talking about the building costs etc. not the extra income from tourism (which I actually doubt would be that great). Look at other cities who have hosted - and look at how long it has taken to pay it off.

Gwenick Tue 07-Jun-05 13:36:02

not the extra income from tourism (which I actually doubt would be that great).

are you serious???

I read somewhere that up to 10 million people visited Australia for the 2000 games, there were 5.5 million tickets on sale (in total), and bear in mind that 'road races' and certain other events would have been 'watchable' without getting tickets for stadiums. I 'personally' know of a family who visited Australi for the Games and didn't buy any tickets, but were just there 'soaking up the atmosphere' - they also visited Perth.........

Earlybird Tue 07-Jun-05 13:37:05

Just read that the New York Olympic bid is now in serious trouble. Yesterday the New York City politicians reached an impasse with the New York State politicians. Two state legislators declined the mayor's request for funds necessary to build the Olympic Stadium in New York City. So, unless some huge change happens, it looks difficult for that city to move forward as a serious contender.

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 13:37:32

yeah but Gwenick that's Australia....I bet loads of people used it as an excuse for that trip-of-a-lifetime - I can't really imagine London having the same draw!

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 13:38:11

but I may be wrong. Lots of americans and chinese I imagine.

Blackduck Tue 07-Jun-05 13:39:33

Isn't it basically the case that NY and Moscow are rank outsiders? Madrid is iffy (infrastructure issues and a feeling their figures don't add up) and that is down to London or Paris?
Gwenick - maybe I'm wrong, who knows, still feel that it is a financial burden the tax payers of this country could do with out

tarantula Tue 07-Jun-05 13:41:01

Really dotn want it in London if its gonna hike up the Council tax. Having major problems paying it as it is. Cant see what the benifits will be at all but can see the conjestion, hike in fares on the tube, chaos of building etc etc.

Gwenick Tue 07-Jun-05 13:43:23

elliot...............it's a thing of the 'grass is greener',

We in the UK would LOVE to visit Australia - it's the other side of the world, a whole new experience type thing (hence the reason there's a large number of young Britains doing 'working holidays' over there).

In Australia the 'pull' is to visit the UK - lots of Australians come to the UK for the 'new experience' type thing - it's a trip of a lifetime for them too...

True Athens only had between 2-5 million extra visitors, but there were security fears, especially so 'soon' after Sept 11th......and Greece doesn't have the same 'pull' factor that some countries doo.

oliveoil Tue 07-Jun-05 13:44:58

Manchester was fantastic when the Commonwealth Games were on, real vibe going on in the city centre.

But not sure if London could cope with the extra people, it takes you a day to cross town as it is (so I am told).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now