Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BA to charge for seat reservations before check in - effective from 7 Oct

(12 Posts)
EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 10:00:33

"Airline will charge up to £60 one way to secure a specific seat before check-in"

Looks like you will be exempted if you have an infant

Bucharest Sat 26-Sep-09 10:11:56

...bet Lyingair are smiling smugly.....

PinkBunny Sat 26-Sep-09 16:41:57

But isn't the charge only for anyone wanting a particular seat, like on an exit row, or 1A for example? My understanding is that if you don't want a particular seat, there's no charge.

Its only going to be £10 in economy. £60 is for business class. At least you can reserve your seat rather than having a Ryanair rugby scrum.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 17:07:26

£20 for economy on long haul so that's £40 return

Buda Sat 26-Sep-09 17:11:58

Aer Lingus have been doing this for ages now (they are part owned by Ryanair unfortunately). I just don't do it. Nor do most people as far as i can see. Never had a problem getting a seat. Never had a problem getting a seat with DS and I would just refuse to sit down till the crew sorted it out if I did have a problem. But I am a stroppy cow!

I do check in early though so that maybe helps.

Am flying BA next month with DH and DS and will just kick up a fuss if we don't get seats together! But will check in online as soon as I can anyway so it should be ok.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 17:21:45

BA have also reduced their baggage allowances - so economy to the US you can only check one bag

Virgin is doing the same but not until late Nov

Buda Sat 26-Sep-09 17:35:41

Ohh Eldon - when in lat Nov do you know? I am off to NY with a friend in Nov! Mind you we are BA Budapest to London anyway and then Virgin to NY.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 18:13:56

Looks like new bookings after November 25. link

which is better than BA who have applied the new rules to existing bookings

MollieO Sat 26-Sep-09 18:19:50

Isn't an infant under 2? Does that mean I won't have to sit next to my 5 yr old when we go to South Africa next month?!

I can't see how they can enforce this change on those who have already booked. I imagine those with children will be okay as we get to check in earlier than those without.

EldonAve Sat 26-Sep-09 18:26:07

yes infant = under 2

I think the charging extra for the exit row seats is a bit dubious - what if people pay and are then deemed not able bodied enough

WebDude Tue 29-Sep-09 00:51:28

Going to be a real shock if/when I next fly... been ten years since last holiday, now I need darn biometric passport (just to open a new bank account so that's 75+ quid down the drain)

Not had any trips with new security in force... hmmm, maybe I will take a ferry or Eurostar instead, when I leave the UK for good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now