Talk

Advanced search

So all that Saxon gold has been declared the property of the crown.......don't you think she has quite enough free stuff already?

(39 Posts)
GivePeasAChance Thu 24-Sep-09 18:30:00

Greedy cow

SomeGuy Thu 24-Sep-09 18:31:59

they do pay the owner full market value, and it will go into a museum probably.

check out treasure trove - gold belongs to the Crown.

JeMeSouviens Thu 24-Sep-09 18:33:27

I imagine it is stop it being sold off into private collections. Makes sense to me.

DillyTantay Thu 24-Sep-09 18:34:08

arf
its is SO beautiful

GivePeasAChance Thu 24-Sep-09 19:01:31

full market value? Really?

Thought he ony got a 'share'? If he does then fair enough !

But still she is a greedy cow

Drusilla Thu 24-Sep-09 19:05:02

Also ensures it can't be taken out of the country. It's not as though the Queen is going to have it on display in her sitting room hmm

Northernlurker Thu 24-Sep-09 19:06:06

Ok it belongs to the crown but she lends it to us. If we had a revolution we could get it back any time we liked grin

It is gorgeous stuff - I like that bit of a sword with all the animals engraved on it. Just think - for over a thousand years that lot has just been quiet in the earth - the Normans, the Tudors, the Civil war, the Victorians, the second world war, the atomic age - it's all gone on over it and nobody knew it was there. The man who found it was looking at something nobody had seen for so, so long. Gives me shivers smile

LeninGrad Thu 24-Sep-09 19:10:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GivePeasAChance Thu 24-Sep-09 19:17:05

Me too

ABetaDad Thu 24-Sep-09 19:19:32

The property of The Crown is not the personal property of the Queen.

As you were, put your placards down, nothing to see here, move along now.

Northernlurker Thu 24-Sep-09 19:23:24

Abetadad - don't spoil our fun!

<<stops polishing guillotine>>

'Mumsnet - by parents, for revolutionaries'

ABetaDad Thu 24-Sep-09 19:28:47

In quiet ways and behind the scenes our Queen is protecting our liberty via the Privy Council at the moment.

Dont knock the monarchy too much, it has its faults but at the moment it is all that stands between us and authoritarian rule.

OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 19:32:56

It isn't hers. Do you really think she's going to go to banquets with a bloody great Saxon armcuff hmm And she can't sell it to get the money.

It's being kept for us. Do you think the archaeological vandal metal detector man would give it to the nation if it was his?

Northernlurker Thu 24-Sep-09 19:34:58

abetadad - I'm not actually a republican at all. Revolutions are on my mind as my bedside reading is currently a biography of Marie Antoinett's daughter, Marie-Therese.

Wouldn't say no to bit of classy saxon bling though - and neither would the Queen I daresay if you offered it to her for her aforementioned living room.

stitchtime Thu 24-Sep-09 19:38:13

the crown does not mean that the individual ruling monarch can do with them what she or he pleases. she no more owns the stuff, than you own the bit of the moon floating above the airspace of your house.

Northernlurker Thu 24-Sep-09 19:43:29

I don't own the moon? shock

Darn - I've just put a patio up there hmm

TheCrackFox Thu 24-Sep-09 20:17:09

If we are going to have a revolution can we start on some of the dick-wad MPs first? Then we can move onto Katie Price and Peter Andre.

Loved the Anglo Saxon bling.

sarah293 Thu 24-Sep-09 20:19:18

Message withdrawn

exchangeandmart Fri 25-Sep-09 15:56:34

I hope the finder gets some! Surely "finders keepers" laws apply here?! Lol

spongebrainmaternitypants Fri 25-Sep-09 19:03:18

Abetadad, I'm absolutely wetting myself at the idea that the Queen protects our liberty/democracy - thanks, haven't laughed so much in weeks!grin

(You are joking of course aren't you? hmm)

ABetaDad Fri 25-Sep-09 20:15:50

No. I am not joking. She is.

Wy do you think she called in the Bank of England Governor a few months ago?

She has power to call anyone in this country before via the Privy Council and the army and police swear allegiance to her.

TwoIfBySea Fri 25-Sep-09 20:17:52

Givepeas,

bring on the revolution!

Yeay!

OrmIrian Fri 25-Sep-09 20:18:27

If anyone should have it it's whoever owns the land. Some fucker with a bloody bleeper comes into your fields and starts rippingf holes in it and nicking stuff possibly to sell, potentially disturbing the archaeology it shouldn't belong to him. if someone 'found' some money down the back of your sofa should it belong to them?

Thredworm Fri 25-Sep-09 20:23:06

ABD: But that power is nominally hers and effectively the prime minister's? -- and the fact that the executive's power is cloaked in this way (appearing as royal prerogative) is a constitutional feature that contributes to the executive having a degree of power that too-much eclipses parliament and party?

ABetaDad Fri 25-Sep-09 20:32:12

No the Bank of England Governor could shut down the banking system, refuse to fund Government debt and bring down this Govt. The civil service can passivley or activley refuse to carry out Ministers orders, the Armed Forces can refuse to fight and the Police can refuse to enforce law. All of tthese people swear allegiance to the Queen and not the Govt of the day.

Look who met the Queen on 26 March 2009.

Mr. Mervyn King (Governor of the Bank of England) was received by Her Majesty.

Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup (Chief of the Defence Staff) was received by The Queen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now