Talk

Advanced search

Gaddafi at the UN

(9 Posts)
Hassled Thu 24-Sep-09 13:12:13

Here. To sum up:
"He tore up a copy of the UN charter in front of startled delegates, accused the security council of being an al-Qaida like terrorist body, called for George Bush and Tony Blair to be put on trial for the Iraq war, demanded $7.7tn in compensation for the ravages of colonialism on Africa, and wondered whether swine flu was a biological weapon created in a military laboratory. At one point, he even demanded to know who was behind the killing of JFK. All in all, a pretty ordinary 100 minutes in the life of the colonel."

I'm not quite sure which emoticon I should be using. It's sort of funny but sort of not.

tryingherbest Thu 24-Sep-09 22:07:34

I think he's very funny. Being a complete wind up merchant and the last few weeks have just given him the stage he adores.

I think the delegates were incredibly patient - it went on for about 90 minutes.

MavisEnderby Thu 24-Sep-09 22:11:20

It would be funny were the atrocities committed in Libya toward his own people not so grim.

I work with a colleague who is Libyan and early in his leadership despotic regime several members of her family were rounded up into a sports stadium and shot for their dissenting views.

He is mad as the proverbial hatter.

Meglet Thu 24-Sep-09 22:13:02

Whenever I see him I think he has the same plastic surgeon as Mickey Rourke.

pagwatch Thu 24-Sep-09 22:14:53

ROFL at Meglet

thank you. I have been trying to place a sort of familiarity. Mickey Roukeesq

Earlybird Thu 24-Sep-09 22:17:44

His staff rented a villa owned by Donald Trump (America's version of Sir Alan Sugar) for him to stay in while visiting New York. The media took pictures (via helicopter) of the Bedouin-style tent that was put up for him in the garden.

Once Trump heard that the villa was going to be used by Gaddafi (and not the people who rented it), he revoked the agreement and had the tent removed. I think Gaddafi ended up staying at the Libyan ambassador's residence.

donnie Fri 25-Sep-09 13:36:10

I agree with him about Iraq though.

LadyMidnightMT Sat 26-Sep-09 12:05:02

He's an odd one. I agree with him about the UN but not the Iraq war.

I can see why he personally ios anti-war ythough. His adopted daughter Hanna was killed in the bombing of Tripoli all those years ago.

He is actually a very important figure at the moment in helping stabilise the middle-east.

LadyMidnightMT Sat 26-Sep-09 12:07:05

"On 23 September 2009, Colonel Gaddafi addressed the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York, his first visit to the United States, speaking for one hour 36 minutes.[55] Gaddafi spoke in favor of the preamble to the United Nations Charter, but rejected several provisions of the rest of the Charter; and criticized the United Nations for failing to prevent 65 wars, and invited the General Assembly to investigate the wars that the Security Council had not authorized, and for those responsible to be brought before the International Criminal Court.

Following Colonel Gaddafi's speech, in which he criticized the UN Security Council (UNSC) calling it the "Terror Council",[56] Gaddafi failed to attend a special Security Council heads-of-state meeting on 24 September 2009, when a resolution calling for a reduction in the number of nuclear weapons was passed unanimously.[57]"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_al-Gaddafi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now