IVF blunder in the US

(16 Posts)
EldonAve Tue 22-Sep-09 18:55:56

Pregnant mother, implanted with wrong embryo, to give up baby after IVF blunder

Amazing woman

CarGirl Tue 22-Sep-09 19:03:05

shocksad

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 22-Sep-09 19:10:28

I'm shocked if she is being made to give up the baby - but it's not clear in the article. Maybe they are choosing to. That wouldn't happen here would it? Surrogate mothers have the right to keep the child i they change their minds I think. It's unbearably cruel to force a woman to give up a baby she has birthed whoever's DNA is in it.

morningpaper Tue 22-Sep-09 19:15:57

Gosh - she is amazing

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 22-Sep-09 19:16:10

That is utterly heartbreaking sad.

In this country they would be entitled to keep the baby - there was a tragic case a few years ago of a couple who only knew they had the wrong embryo when they gave birth and the baby was black.

The biological parents fought through the courts to have the child returned to them but lost.

It is frightening that this still happens sad.

EldonAve Tue 22-Sep-09 19:17:32

more info here
seems they were offered a termination

Disenchanted3 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:18:39

I think shes choosing to give the baby to them.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 22-Sep-09 19:21:53

The 2nd article reads that they could either terminate (could you imagine what that would have been like for her, and also for the couple to who the embryo belonged???) or to hand the baby over to the biological parents after birth.

LeninGrad Tue 22-Sep-09 19:22:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Disenchanted3 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:23:59

iN A WAY ITS A BLESSING THAT ITS HER IT HAPPENED TO AS SHE SEEMS VERY STRONG. aLSO SHE HAS 3 CHILDREN ALREADY, THE YOUNGEST 18 MONTHS, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH MORE DEVESTATING IF THIS WAS SOMEONE FINALLY PREGNANT WITH THEIR FIRST CHILD AFTER SAY 10 YEARS OF TRYING.

Oops caps! sorry blush

Disenchanted3 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:24:45

Not that its not devestating for her, of course it is, but she at least has 3 children to comfort her.

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 22-Sep-09 19:33:05

This happened in Wales a couple of years ago and the couple took the MAP - it was the last embryo of the couple who it belonged to sad.

They also had a child, but I don't this would be much comfort under the circumstances sad.

QOD Tue 22-Sep-09 19:33:44

This happened to a surrogate I "know" recently in the UK!
Shockingly she was implanted with another couples embryo, the clinic offered MAP but she refused, she said she could have been their only chance. As it happens, she didn't fall pregnant (they were very low grade anyway), the clinic refused to tell the embryonic parents!
shocking isn't it

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 22-Sep-09 19:40:22

QOD, it's very scary. As a mum of an IVF baby it takes make me a little nervous. Especilly when they are covering up their errors angry.

It just shouldn't happen - there are so many checks and balances in place that it should not happen. IVF is a hideous enough thing to go through as it is without this . . .

QOD Wed 23-Sep-09 20:31:08

congrats spongebrain!

spongebrainmaternitypants Thu 24-Sep-09 09:11:24

Thanks QOD! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now