Talk

Advanced search

schools introduce hair straighteners to encourage girls to do PE

(48 Posts)
meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 18-Sep-09 09:44:16

Not sure how I feel about this

Just seems to be feeding our image obsessed society even further. The last sentence about helping girls to 'support positive self image' is a bit hmm.

Discuss

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 18-Sep-09 09:45:35

That'll be interesting. In DD's school they have removed the mirrors from the girls toilets to stop them spending so much time in there.

stepaway Fri 18-Sep-09 09:46:15

now I've heard everything.

that's mind boggling.

there is no hope if even the schools are encouraging children to be obsessed with their looks.

Lovemyshoes Fri 18-Sep-09 09:46:51

Absolutely bloody ridiculous.

2shoes Fri 18-Sep-09 09:47:38

what a waste of money,

ErikaMaye Fri 18-Sep-09 09:47:47

Oh for goodness sakes... How utterly absurd. Though saying that, I do remember some girls in my PE class who would bring their straighteners with them so they could do their hair after hmm Its more about conforming than positive self image.

And besides - hands up who reckons that the numbers in attendance will still be down, but more people will be walking round with straight hair at those schools???

SqueezyCheese Fri 18-Sep-09 09:47:59

Horrendous! I was driving into town the other morning and saw girls standing in the queue for the school bus and they were all short skirts, fake tan, full make up and fancy hair do's. There's just no need for it.

What happened to the days of gym pants and hockey in the freezing cold whether you liked it or not?

I mean, straighteners at school, WTF is going on in this crazy world?

electra Fri 18-Sep-09 09:49:21

I think it's a good idea. People care about the way they look - it's just part of human nature. I think I would be more shocked about mirrors being removed...just my opinion.

belgo Fri 18-Sep-09 09:54:51

Absolutely ridiculous waste of money.

And what will they do when the fashion for straight hair changes? Introduce home perm kits? Hair dye?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 18-Sep-09 09:58:58

that's a good point belgo.

Is PE not compulsory then? Why do they need 'encouragement'?

What if girls refused to take part in science because the lab coats and goggles are ugly?

midnightexpress Fri 18-Sep-09 10:01:29

I'm not sure about this one. While it does seem like £800 that could be better spent, I don't really see that it's all that different from having hairdryers in changing rooms, which nobody thinks are absurd. And I'd rather that they took a bit of exercise than not.

OTOH, I feel at my old-gittiest when I see teenage gals heading off to school with skirts so short that their knickers are more or less on display to the world at large. I really hate the precocious sexualizing of young girls. Tis very sad.

dilemma456 Fri 18-Sep-09 10:02:54

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Fri 18-Sep-09 10:03:07

Back in my school, they could have made people happier about PE by actually ending the lesson in enough time for us to get showered and changed and to our next lesson on time. If this is part of a general rethink about why people are likely to bunk off PE and/or dump it at the first opportunity, then fair dos.

titchy Fri 18-Sep-09 10:03:15

Great - how to encourage positive body image amongst those with naturally curly hair... not.

And surely this must be a huge fire risk?

titchy Fri 18-Sep-09 10:04:01

and blimey £800 for 9 - mine only cost about £20!

flowerybeanbag Fri 18-Sep-09 10:04:15

Does that mean they were previously excusing girls from PE who were worried about bad hair?

For crying out loud. We had to be on our deathbeds before getting out of PE when I was at school!

GypsyMoth Fri 18-Sep-09 10:07:43

they'll prob be ghd's then for that price,with a discount i hope

madness!!

dilemma456 Fri 18-Sep-09 10:10:15

Message withdrawn

Mybox Fri 18-Sep-09 10:29:44

How strange

SignoraRubyrubyruby Fri 18-Sep-09 10:32:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpla Fri 18-Sep-09 10:33:40

Hairdryers so you're not walking around with wet hair and catching colds all day seems reasonable. Hair straighteners so you can prettify yourself - ridiculous.

Just another thing for them to fight over / with - would have been about ten minutes in my school before some unlucky sod (probably me) would be pinned down and branded with them.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 18-Sep-09 10:34:17

I actually know the area pretty well that they are trialling this in and TBH if I was in charge of those schols I would probably be doing absurd and weird and wonderful things to encourage the pupils to participate.
I would bet that they would do anything to get some involvement from pupils and probably feel if that is one way to get them to do it then they'll try anything.

Still think it's a ludicrous idea god they are never gonna get the girls out the toilets for their next class. hmm

ErikaMaye Fri 18-Sep-09 11:11:33

That's a point, Grumpla - it would have been me who was pinned and branded too. Surely there will be bullying incidents now they have "tools" handy?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 18-Sep-09 11:16:05

Actually in these schools I can see that happening too hmm

charlotteolivia Fri 18-Sep-09 11:34:41

How long before pupils are dissappearing in break time to go to the changing rooms and straighten their hair?! There are only a few in each changing room, and what- 20...30 girls maybe if 2 classes at once- how are they going to control how long the girls use them for? Arguments about not getting a chance to use them are surely going to happen!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now