Talk

Advanced search

do you think politicians have CRB checks

(25 Posts)
NoahDear Tue 15-Sep-09 16:25:59

for when they prance around schools tlaking to groups of kids in libraries?

NorbertDentressangle Tue 15-Sep-09 16:28:27

or for when they pose for the cameras whilst holding constituents babies at election time?

NoahDear Tue 15-Sep-09 16:31:50

with the frigging balloons behind them...
yes do nto let them touch your babies

NorbertDentressangle Tue 15-Sep-09 16:35:24

get your babies to wear these

grin

UnquietDad Tue 15-Sep-09 16:40:51

Shame that vest spells "hypocrisy" wrongly.

edam Tue 15-Sep-09 16:44:35

UQD, glad to see you upholding the fine tradition of pedantry. grin There must be standards even when we are slagging people off!

Could warm to the idea of CRBs for politicians, let them find out what it's like to be on the receiving end of their pet schemes...

AMumInScotland Tue 15-Sep-09 17:02:11

Well, I think most sane parents would sooner leave their child alone with a crocodile than a politician, so the checks are probably not needed grin

edam Tue 15-Sep-09 18:35:26

yeah, but you might be innocently walking down the street, minding your own business, when you bump into a politician who snatches your baby for a photo op - you can't be too careful, you know...

TheCrackFox Tue 15-Sep-09 18:37:41

I think you are right Edam. In these scary times you really can't be too careful with your DCs. Why take the risk?

edam Tue 15-Sep-09 18:44:43

Exactly, crackfox, we need to put all politicians on a register, take their DNA profiles, have a CRB check with enhanced disclosure, inside leg measurements, hat size, National Insurance number... anything else?

TheCrackFox Tue 15-Sep-09 19:40:06

Well, as well as needing a CRB check it is worth baring in mind that they may be potential terrorists. They need an identity card and to be finger printed like criminals and extra safety measure like iris scans. Just to be safe.

After, all if they have nothing to hide......

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 15-Sep-09 19:49:47

Another DM stylee thread?

Madsometimes Wed 16-Sep-09 12:15:03

Actually, I think they do undergo a security clearance. There are also plans to security clear all their staff, even those who only work in constituency offices and never set foot in parliament, because they have access to IT systems.... Oh and their interns.... We do like security checks these days.

Mind you, if I democratically elected an MP and some authority bod decided s/he did not pass security clearance I would be extremely miffed. I expect the main parties check prospective candidates for any skeletons before they get near an electorate. I suppose we do have the potential to get an indie with a past though.

AutumnLady Wed 16-Sep-09 12:27:38

We all get security cleared to work here! There are different levels which are too long and boring to list, but everyone has to be cleared. In fact, it is probably noted somewhere that I post on here......shock

grin

johnhemming Wed 16-Sep-09 16:29:35

MPs are not security cleared nor do they have CRB checks. I do, however, have a recent(ish) CRB check because up to 2008 I was a city councillor and they have CRB checks. The CRB checks, however, do not act to disqualify them from being elected other than through normal legal constraints.

Councillors have a number of responsibilities like inspecting childrens homes (Regulation 33) that logically would have CRB checks. I have inspected a few in my time.

Although I think that the system has gone too far I do think there is some merit in having a CRB system which applies for certain jobs.

AutumnLady Thu 17-Sep-09 09:21:05

johnhemming - MPs are security cleared. They have to be to work on the Parliamentary estate.

silentcatastrophe Thu 17-Sep-09 10:00:08

Ah, but are their staff? Unlikely if they are from another country. Even less likely if they are illegals. So... checks and more checks for people who have lived here and been born here, but free-for-all for everyone else?

It all seems to be terribly anti men.

edam Thu 17-Sep-09 10:38:54

Autumn - John Hemming is an MP. Presumably he knows whether he has been security cleared...

AutumnLady Thu 17-Sep-09 10:42:50

Umm, so is my boss and he has

edam Thu 17-Sep-09 11:19:05

Looks like some of them are and some of them aren't - maybe your boss has particular reasons for being security cleared?

AutumnLady Thu 17-Sep-09 11:28:24

It may be down to the fact of who has been in Government and held certain Ministerial posts. I didn't realise that some were not, which I do find odd!

Bleh Thu 17-Sep-09 12:36:53

Yes, I agree, CRB checks for politicians and those who work for them.

What would really help is if they had "complete a*se" checks before they were allowed near the electorate, but those are too complicated to come up with. I know someone who works for the Labour Party, and when encountering him (creepy man) I do want to repeatedly punch him in the face for being so stupid and smug (recent article: how Labour are going to get that Fourth Term, for sure! Based on seeing a lecture by Peter Mandelsohn. How delusional).

johnhemming Thu 17-Sep-09 17:21:26

I haven't filled in a form for security clearance. I would presume that Gerry Adams hasn't either.

OTOH I did swear the oath of allegiance and he wouldn't.

However, part of the NI peace deal was for SF to claim expenses.

My staff who have passes have been security checked.

There probably are checks made on MPs, but not in the same way. MPs are accountable to the electorate not the courts.

AutumnLady Sun 20-Sep-09 10:22:32

John - perhaps it does depend on Ministerial positions also, as you then have access to documents of varying security levels. I'm sure GCHQ has monitored each and every one of us who works there...... For what it's worth, I think you are on the same corridor as my office!

johnhemming Sun 20-Sep-09 13:14:57

If that is Star Chamber Court top floor then you are right.

I am sure some checks are made and I would expect to appear on the PNC and various security files even though my CRB is clear.

Not that this worries me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now