Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

iisn't it a wonder that any of us brought up on Bunty and Jackie turned out vaguely feminist.

(65 Posts)
hatwoman Tue 15-Sep-09 10:23:32

free in the Guardian on Saturday and today. I'm still in shock. The pathetic look that we should use at the disco to bring out the protective instincts in boys; and the story today of the deeply misguided Mrs Ponsonby who wanted to turn her little girl into a boy. on the one hand it's no wonder that I felt deeply inadequate for not having a boyfriend aged 12 hmm but on the other hand I guess I turned out ok in the end...

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 10:25:03

bunty - designed to nurture the victim inside all of us.

hatwoman Tue 15-Sep-09 10:27:43

yes - I remember spending rather too much of my childhood being a cruelly treated housemaid/adopted daughter/poor person

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 15-Sep-09 10:30:24

Unbelievable isn't it. And while I was nurturing my Cinderella fantasies with the aid of Bunty, Judy etc, my brother was refighting the second world war courtesy of Warlord.

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 10:31:38

do they still do warlord?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 15-Sep-09 10:32:46

I'm guessing not. But you can still get those mini comic books about the second world war in Smiths.

duelingfanjo Tue 15-Sep-09 10:33:37

I was a Jinty and Misty reader. Much more my kind of thing. I steered well away from anything like Bunty!

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 10:34:51

i was only allowed the bunty - my evil mother would not let me have the glamourous comics.

hatwoman Tue 15-Sep-09 10:35:28

I like the comment from one of the Marys. Having been told she's "super with kids" she replies "advantage of being what Mabel calls utterly working class. We have to look after our own children." my my how far we've come...

SolidGoldBrass Tue 15-Sep-09 10:35:28

Oh bugger, am sorry I missed that freebie, would have been fascinated.

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 10:35:43

i thought photo stories where just FANTASTIC but i was stuck with crappy drawing of parlour maids looking sad in attic rooms

admylin Tue 15-Sep-09 10:36:21

I used to read Misty and was very upset when they stopped/merged it, went straight on to Smash Hits.

hazeyjane Tue 15-Sep-09 10:39:30

I was a comicaholic when i was little, Bunty, Tammy ,Jinty,Commando, Misty, Warlord, Victor, Jackie, My Guy, Starsky and Hutch and John Travlota fanzines . I was truly obsessed,I joined all the fanclubs, and a lot of my games revolved around being one of The Four Marys, or other totally un seventies character (everything in Bunty seemed to exist in a world stuck between the 30's and 50's)

My favourite character of them all was Bella the cockney gymnast (Tammy I think?), I guess at least she was a pretty feisty heroine.

Sadly her outfit of turned up dungarees and bunches influenced my 'look' for far too longblush

Rindercella Tue 15-Sep-09 10:40:28

My mother used to write stories for Misty grin

I was seriously freaked once though when she used my sister and my names for one of her tales!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 15-Sep-09 10:44:07

Commando! That's what those mini-books are called! My brother had stacks of them.
I used to get Judy. My friends and I all got different mags and then we would swap them. Misty was the one the mothers looked on with suspicion - how glamorous to have a mother who actually wrote for it!

hatwoman Tue 15-Sep-09 10:44:37

I used to get Bunty and then aged about 10 (?) started agitating for something more grown up. I can remember going to the newsagent with mum whilst she checked Jackie out, desperately praying she'd say ok. I do remember being incredibly excited each week when Bunty arrived - because the stories carried on from one week to the next I couldn;t wait to read it.

dd used to like the Guardian comic on Saturdays - she was really annoyed when they stopped it.

angelene Tue 15-Sep-09 10:53:09

I was reading the Jackie supplement last night and it was really dreadful - especially an ad for Anne French cream about a girl who was 'always the bridesmaid' until she started using said product, whereupon she was fighting them off with a shitty stick and she became a 'beautiful bride'.

The Cathy & Claire advice about going to discos and using the less popular and less attractive boys to build up your confidence and get the good looking popular ones flocking was incredible.

And it was only 1975!! It was like something out of the 50s!

Pyrocanthus Tue 15-Sep-09 10:55:20

DD1 was extremely unimpressed with Jackie, but DD2 read the 1980 Beano which was in the Observer and said, 'Can we get this every week, it's only 8p'.

She loved the Guardian comic too.

duelingfanjo Tue 15-Sep-09 11:01:10

"I used to read Misty and was very upset when they stopped/merged it, went straight on to Smash Hits. "

Did they merge Jinty and Misty and then Tammy before joining tammy with Girl? I remember when Jinty disappeared and I spent almost a whole day going from newsagent to newsagent on a fruitless search. I managed to hold of a load of old issues on ebay a year or so ago

EvilEdnasTwinSister Tue 15-Sep-09 11:02:08

Ah the days of my youth, I used to read Bunty then Tammy. Finally managed to persuade mum that Jackie and Just 17 were OK.

God knows that took long enough (you know she was checking for "unsuitable content "- etc). Looking back now though the advice columns were priceless!! grin

IdrisTheDragon Tue 15-Sep-09 11:08:15

I got my Bunty today and am looking forward to reading it later smile.

I won two Bunty competitions - one got me a wildlife poster and the other was Mike Read's Pop Quiz Game grin

Mybox Tue 15-Sep-09 11:10:47

There waere lots of good mags

abouteve Tue 15-Sep-09 11:13:38

I remember Bunty for the cut out clothes with tabs. Did read Jackie, but had a subscription to 'Pink' anyone remember this?

TBH my DD has bought Sugar and it's obsessed with Boys so not much has changed.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 15-Sep-09 11:20:06

I moved from Judy to Jackie and then on to Fab208 - anyone remember that one? My bedroom walls were covered in posters from Fab208 - mostly of the Boomtown Rats and John Travolta, I seem to recall.

ginnny Tue 15-Sep-09 11:31:23

Does anyone remember GIRL magazine. I remember my dad bought me a copy once (it had a free heart shaped lip gloss on the cover, which was unusual back then) and my Mum censored it and banned me from reading it again grin
I'd love to get hold of a copy now to see what the fuss was about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now