Talk

Advanced search

Enhanced paternity leave

(3 Posts)
LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 15-Sep-09 10:08:12

here

but I don;t get it - can anyone enlighten me?

So now instead of the 2 weeks men can have 6 months off, if the woman chooses to go back to work after 6 months. ie she transfers her last 6 months to him.

But if the woman doesn't want to go back to work after 6 months, if she is BF and wants to take it to a year for example, does this mean the father gets no paternity leave at all?

And what if the woman doesn't work in the first place - is the man entitled to any leave - 2 weeks/6 months/what?

It seems like another one of labours current ideas in that it's not been thought through? Or maybe more details will come out later...

Anyone know anything about this/any thoughts?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 15-Sep-09 13:08:26

I assume he would get his statutory 2 weeks at the beginning as usual, plus the further 6 months if he wants it. I have no idea about if the mum wasn't working - at the moment women can only get the additional 6 months if they have been working somewhere for a certain amount of time can't they? They must be planning to link it to the father's length of service, rather than the mother's. But if the woman isn't working, could he take 6 months immediately? It's very unclear.

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 15-Sep-09 14:47:47

Thanks for the response kat grin the whole thing has me baffled. I just don't see how they're going to work it, it will be rather complicated.

I thought that it was going to be that men would get more basic paternity leave at the beginning. 2 weeks is not enough IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now