We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers struggling with deprived children

(11 Posts)
Jimmychasesducks Thu 10-Sep-09 10:44:27

here

am I alone in thinking the lack of toilet training is more to do with how young the children are and how comfatable disposable nappies are.......

NoahAmin Thu 10-Sep-09 10:48:02

and this is news?
surely has been happening since Victorian times

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 10-Sep-09 10:51:59

It is really sad about the "poverty of aspiration"

Being poor shouldn't mean that your child cant dress themselves, be toilet trained or use cutlery.

helplessmummy Thu 10-Sep-09 10:52:08

Actually one of the reasons v. deprived people do not read witht heir kids, is because they can't read themselves. So of course they are going to be resistent to the idea. How is that problem being pro-actively tackled?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 10-Sep-09 11:01:43

That's true helplessmummy.

I have no idea how this should be tackled. There is no excuse in Britain in 2009 for adults not to be able to read. We are one of the richest countries in the world with access to free education.

People slip through the system and it spirals downhill for them and generations of their families.

mrsmortenharket Thu 10-Sep-09 11:03:59

excuse me? what about if the parents are dyslexic??????

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 10-Sep-09 11:05:32

obviously I don't mean dyslexic parents.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 10-Sep-09 11:07:33

or any other condition which would make them unable to read with their children.

I'm talking about poverty and deprivation being a barrier to children's success at school.

cherryblossoms Thu 10-Sep-09 11:10:21

I think it goes far, far beyond the age of the children and the comfort of disposable nappies.

It's interesting that the report seems to be about "shared" poverty. i would guess that they have asked about experiences from schools in areas where there is a geographical experience of long-standing, generational poverty. One experience of that is lack of geographical mobility.

My guess is that they are aiming to talk about the significant requirements of schools in areas where the majority of dc are from homes with entrenched experiences of poverty. My further guess is that the experiences and thus the requirements of these schools is substantially different to schools is areas without that experience.

I would go on to conjecture that the inference is that these schools have to devote resources to performing basic "parental" functions. Which are NOT required in schools in less deprived areas but are a (un-funded) necessity in deprived areas.

cherryblossoms Thu 10-Sep-09 11:15:41

Sorry - mentioned lack of geographical mobility because I wonder if that's not a key issue in the development of generational poverty: Schools are in the area, jobs are few, transport links are bad, social housing is concentrated there. People don't move far out of their area, the area becomes more and more enclosed, shared behaviours develop, experience of life beyond that diminishes.

I don't know; I'm just interested. Basically, we seem to be hearing more and more about generational poverty, with an inference that it has features distinct from other types of poverty.

Is it distinct? Is it just a new scare-story?

Does anyone know?

katiestar Thu 10-Sep-09 23:33:47

It's rubbish.i can remember when i was in the infants in the early 70s children having toilet 'accidents'.And in thoise days we didn't bother getting changed for PE so nobody would know whether you could change your clothes or not.Added to which children started older than now

BTW those kids in the picture SO do not look deprived .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now