Advanced search

From today's Sun - Naughty kids' names revealed... Callums and Jessicas are bad'uns apparently

(8 Posts)
CarmenSanDiego Mon 07-Sep-09 17:24:18

link here

Can anyone tell me what the point in Bounty is?

Apart from the silly name-judgyness in this article, there are a few more worrying things.

Firstly, if a third of teachers think the brightest kids are the 'naughtiest' then surely this points to a problem with the way these kids are being taught - they're obviously not engaged with the lesson.

And 74 percent of teachers say naughty kids are 'good kids' really. So did the other 26 percent of teachers just write them off as intrinsically evil or something?

And no, my kids' names aren't on either list.

Nancy66 Mon 07-Sep-09 17:32:10

It's effectively saying that middle class children are better behaved isn't it?

CarmenSanDiego Mon 07-Sep-09 17:47:48

I'm a little surprised by Jessica - don't really see that as any more or less 'classic' than Charlotte. There was a thread about Callums not long ago too.

It really depresses me that teachers humour these idiot 'researchers' with this rubbish. Yes, they are human, but surely they can have a degree of professionality.

scarletlilybug Mon 07-Sep-09 17:51:12


"Those with names like Callum, Chelsea, Connor and Jack are instantly earmarked as potential handfuls as well as those called Brandon, Charlie, Courtney and Chardonnay.

Others on the 'Teachers Pest' chart are Aliesha, Casey, Crystal, Jessica, Brooke and Demi and boys named Kyle, Liam, Jake and Brooklyn.

In comparison, the 'Teachers Pets' list features boys with more traditional names like Alexander, Benjamin, Harry and William and girls like Elizabeth, Emma, Charlotte and Alice."

In other words, give a child a "middle class" name, and the teacher will expect him/her to be better behaved.

Still, I'd probably make the same sort of assumptions (except for Jack perhaps, which I see as more neutral.) As would lots of people, if they're honest. And no, I don't have any children with any of these names

PeedOffWithNits Tue 08-Sep-09 17:07:20

it all depends on the sort of schools these teachers teach at though

some of the names perceived as "naughty children" will be common in some areas, which also have factors such as high unemployment, crime, unplanned teenage pregnancy etc

other teachers work in "middle class" schools and the "naughtiness" they experience there will be a totally different kind of thing

katiestar Thu 10-Sep-09 23:50:13

Strange idea some posters seem to have that middle class children are less naughty.My experience ,as far as boys go anyway, is actually exactly the opposite

FuriousGeorge Fri 11-Sep-09 23:48:25

I'm surprised that Jessica was on the list too.It is quite a classical name.

scottishmummy Sat 12-Sep-09 00:05:02

does anyone think Chardonnay imbues gravitas as a name

it is a cheap leg opener wine.not what you call your girl

no fucking wonder teachers laugh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: