Talk

Advanced search

Also in today's guardian....Liz Jones's house attacked

(127 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 05-Sep-09 14:31:12

by a disgruntled neighbour. Apparently he shot at her letterbox in protest at being described as toothless and inbred in her book.

Not condoning letterbox shootings at all, but really.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 05-Sep-09 14:33:06

here

Anifrangapani Sat 05-Sep-09 14:36:59

Having seen it this morning I am at a loss as to why she moved to the country at all. hmm

BitOfFun Sat 05-Sep-09 14:41:35

'Jones wrote that shopworkers "have learning difficulties and have never heard of illy coffee".'

And she's wondering why people are hostile? shock

Goodness.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 05-Sep-09 14:46:28

She also moans that she hasn't been made welcome..... I wonder why

TheCrackFox Sat 05-Sep-09 14:50:50

Why on Earth doesn't she move back to London. She clearly hates living there. Mind you, I am not sure Miss Jones will ever be happy anywhere.

AvrilH Sat 05-Sep-09 14:57:29

So that is what happened when Bridget Jones reached middle age

bronze Sat 05-Sep-09 14:59:54

without even reading her stuff. I sodding hate people like her. Townies who move the country and expect the world to change for her. I speak as a townie in the country

Prunerz Sat 05-Sep-09 15:04:04

They should be used to it: Auberon Waugh lived at Dulverton for years and he was a more talented and cutting writer than 10 Liz Joneses.

UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 15:08:40

I've not heard of "illy coffee" either...

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 15:10:33

God how hilarious.
Doubtless she is taking the piss wildly but if you give out flak, you gotta be able to take it back and she can't.

BitOfFun Sat 05-Sep-09 15:10:42

You prole, UQD shock

Prunerz Sat 05-Sep-09 15:11:49

Not heard of Illy Coffee! shock

UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 15:11:58

Have just googled it. Ah. It's bloody expensive.

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 05-Sep-09 15:12:56

It's espresso, it comes in a big silver and red tin.

Auberon Waugh could be very cutting but I can't imagine he was cutting about his neighbours from a position of ignorance the way Liz Jones would have been. Plus he probably used to hunt'n'shoot.

UnquietDad Sat 05-Sep-09 15:13:07

I have honestly never heard it mentioned before in my entire life. I buy CafeDirect or Taylors fairtrade. It's not like I drink Mellow Bird's.

Goblinchild Sat 05-Sep-09 15:13:14

grin
She doesn't sound to bright herself if she thought she could be 'witty' ignorant and sarcastic about neighbours and not reap the consequences. It's a life skill that most of us develop around the time we hit secondary school.

Nancy66 Sat 05-Sep-09 15:13:14

There's a bit of difference between taking flak and having bullets fired at your door.

smallwhitecat Sat 05-Sep-09 15:13:43

Message withdrawn

Goblinchild Sat 05-Sep-09 15:15:14

Sorry, but as an army brat Nancy66, I'd have to disagree. grin
Taking flak is exactly that.

cherryblossoms Sat 05-Sep-09 15:17:14

shock @UQD - you're making that up for effect.

Thing is, how can they be sure it was "outraged of the countryside"?

Maybe it was just one of the aged local inhabitants (a particularly dim specimen, or he too would have headed for the bright lights when young), out for a night of wild animal - baiting or poaching (or whatever they do to while away the restaurant-less hours of darkness), drunk on distilled vegetable peelings (they can't afford wine-bars, and consequently there aren't any ...), mistaking the door for a particularly large badger and ... BANG.

Nothing to do with the columns at all ... .

[Apologies to residents of Dartmoor (?) in advance. I know it's not like that.]

BitOfFun Sat 05-Sep-09 15:18:07

Hehehe, I was going to say that, Goblinchild grin

Certainly, being shot at is horrifying.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 05-Sep-09 15:18:41

I have never heard of that coffee either.

On the other hand I have a friend who loves in Dulverton, is single, not inbred and still has all his own teeth. Should I point him in her direction? grin

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 05-Sep-09 15:19:31

A friend who loves in Dulverton? grin

TheCrackFox Sat 05-Sep-09 15:19:40

Five but I thought you said he is a friend? wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now