Talk

Advanced search

Man convicted of killing wife is training to be a black cab driver

(5 Posts)
QueenOfFuckingEverything Wed 02-Sep-09 22:06:21

Here

I have to say, I am all for rehabilitation of offenders, and understanding of mental health issues, but... I'd be very very unhappy to get in a cab with him driving.

IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Wed 02-Sep-09 22:09:09

It is a pretty scary concept. You're hardly going to know it's him, are you? So glad I don't live in London.

exchangeandmart Thu 03-Sep-09 12:34:26

With the amount of media attention I am surprised this is going ahead as so many people will object. I agree that rehabilitation is very important, but perhaps working in an environment where there are always people to keep an eye on you (busy office for example) may be better as they can notice if you are showing any signs of relapse, whereas working on your own, especially on the roads does indeed seem a little risky

HerBeatitude Thu 03-Sep-09 12:53:08

Hmmm. I wonder what the agenda for this is. It can only undermine any trust people have in black cabs, if I'm in London I'll pay £10 - £15 more for a black cab than a mini-cab precisely because I value my personal safety. If I know that they're letting violent murderers drive cabs, I'm going to be less inclined to believe it's worth that extra fare. I would be very surprised if the taxi drivers allow this to pass - I can imagine them blockading the Carriage Office. Although I'm a little confused by this report, they say that Carriage Officer Examiners were appalled by the decision, but surely it's the Carriage Office who determines who is allowed to do the knowledge?

Did anyone notice the guy had only served 2 years? Nice to know a woman's life is worth so much eh?

HerBeatitude Thu 24-Sep-09 19:28:26

here's an update on this story

Looks like they realised this wasn't such a great idea...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now