Talk

Advanced search

Mobile Phones on the tubes?

(11 Posts)
Earlybird Tue 31-May-05 14:15:28

I've just read a news story that states that in 3 years there will be the technical capability of using mobile phones on the tubes. All 275 stations will have coverage. Good or bad idea?

docket Tue 31-May-05 14:35:25

Bad in my opinion. More opportunity for people to talk REALLY LOUDLY on trains on their mobiles. Boo hiss.

beetroot Tue 31-May-05 14:38:24

Message withdrawn

catgirl Tue 31-May-05 14:40:01

ditto docket.

CountessDracula Tue 31-May-05 14:50:44

Agree good if delayed

I get so mad with people having chatty conversations on trains though. Why can't they save that til they get home? Fair enough if you are telling someone what time you are arriving or something urgent, but the number of people that blather on about total shite is a disgrace.

It also amazes me how many people have no volume control. Why do they have to shout? Do they think that everyone else is terribly interested in what they have to say do you think?

Sparks Tue 31-May-05 15:26:50

But I understood the plan is to have phone coverage in the stations only. You wouldn't get any signal when the train is in the tunnel.

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 15:53:52

I must say that I can't see why it would be a bad idea! Apart from the mild irritation of those talking on the phone (no more irritating than 2 people carrying out a loud conversation on the platform).

I like texting people when I'm on the train. It allows me to avoid eye contact with nutters! And on the tube I just normally play the game on my mobile.... don't really understand what the problem is!

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 15:54:54

Plus, sometimes I feel very vulnerable at the tube station if there aren't many people there. It's made even worse by the fact I couldn't even phone someone if I was attacked!

Still can't see the down side..... ho hum.

dillydally Tue 31-May-05 15:55:05

I would prefer mobile phones to petting couples on the tube anyday

Earlybird Tue 31-May-05 15:58:56

petting couples? Can't say as I've noticed that as a problem....

Now, what does bother me is people who eat smelly food in the airless, enclosed compartments....

ChaCha Wed 01-Jun-05 17:47:49

Reminds me of a comedy that i once saw where the guy was talking through his mouthpiece oblivious to the passenger sitting opposite him who thought he was actually talking to him!!!
'I'm on the train' bellows the guy with the phone
'Oh, that's nice' replies the passenger nodding hs head in patronising manner....LOL
Agree with toothache, definitely want to have a signal when stood in tube station alone! Too many nutters around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now