Talk

Advanced search

girl "found" after 18 years

(26 Posts)
PitysSake Thu 27-Aug-09 19:25:53

go i always think htis must give the mccans hope

IUsedToBePeachy Thu 27-Aug-09 20:06:18

I said that to DH, that the McCann family must in part live for these stories.

Ponders Thu 27-Aug-09 20:12:45

OMG though, they lost an 11-yr-old & now she's 29? In their heads she is still that little girl. Must be soo hard to adjust.

(But still, yes, lovely for her family, & giving hope to the McCanns)

Meglet Thu 27-Aug-09 23:25:38

How do they know it's her? Have they run DNA tests already?

Wonderstuff Thu 27-Aug-09 23:37:35

Where would you start? Must be really difficult after so much time...

Meglet Thu 27-Aug-09 23:42:53

one of the children is 14. Presumably she gave birth without medical care.

SammyK Fri 28-Aug-09 08:13:01

Poor girl, she is 29 with a 15yr old and 11yr old obviously fathered by this creep in his backyard. sad

Report said she was in good spirits, she had probably accepted that that was her life.

Ponders Fri 28-Aug-09 09:22:41

His wife was involved too? shock

saadia Fri 28-Aug-09 09:24:32

such a heartbreaking and horrifying story - makes you wonder how many other people are being held like this.

saadia Fri 28-Aug-09 09:24:32

such a heartbreaking and horrifying story - makes you wonder how many other people are being held like this.

MmeLindt Fri 28-Aug-09 09:28:14

Horrible. She was only 14 when she had the first child.

5inthebed Fri 28-Aug-09 09:31:58

Amazing! But very sad at the same time. How horrific for her.

TheCrackFox Fri 28-Aug-09 09:46:53

That poor woman and her poor family.

warthog Fri 28-Aug-09 09:50:10

but the poor guy who saw her abducted became a suspect. now at least he's proven innocent, although not before his life was ruined.

AtheneNoctua Fri 28-Aug-09 10:09:21

And he wasn't just some guy. He was her stepfather.

She and the children must be very messed up. It says none of them have ever seen a doctor or been to school.

What a creep. And, the wife.... what could she have been thinking?

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 10:12:12

I can't imagine the mish mash of emotions that must be going through that girl and her famillies mind right now!

In time I hope they can somehow rebuild their lives into something of a normal existence.

Amazing that she has been found in the end and hopefully not too messed up by her awful experience.

Here's hoping that the millions of other missing persons famillies find their loved ones alive and well in the near future.

cocolepew Fri 28-Aug-09 13:13:54

Have you heard the phone call the abductor has made? Saying that when we hear the full story we'll all know what a "heartwarming story it is". He shouldn't be allowed to speak to the media from prison surely?

GrimmaTheNome Fri 28-Aug-09 13:26:17

My DHs reaction was that the McCanns must die every time they hear a story like this.

I don't know which is worse - to accept your beloved child is dead or realise that she might go through something like this.

Those poor kids - uneducated and (given they were discovered handing out religious literature) probably horribly brainwashed.

NormaSknockers Fri 28-Aug-09 13:37:52

Shocking & so terribly sad

That poor woman, she has gone through so much I can't even begin to imagine what she must be feeling & thinking right now. So tragic.

Arewenearlythereyet2009 Fri 28-Aug-09 16:35:24

I hope she and the children get lots of love and support that they deserve and that justice is brought to this man and his wife!

Dophus Fri 28-Aug-09 16:41:26

There was an interesting article in the OBserver on sunday about Natascha - the girl found in similar circumstances last year. Life will never be easy for her. The mishmash of emotions that she must have for her abductors and the relationship will have to dealt with along with building her relationship with her Mum- not easy.

Grimma - I also wonder what is best the McCann's et al - the odds are against her being found again and surely closure would be best to allow them to get on with their lives. However maybe the glimmer of hope is what makes them keep going. What's preferable - years of abuse or death?

What on earth makes someone believe that have the right to take someone else child?

squeaver Fri 28-Aug-09 16:41:52

Just saw on the news that apparently he was in prison for part of the time she was held captive. What's that all about??

welshone51 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:06:05

It says in the news that it wasnt her stepfather but a convicted and known peodophile. Her stepfather was suspected for many years after he witnessed her being abducted- even the local priest was suspected recently as they never closed the case!
The poor girl has lost the innocence of her teens and the fun of her twenties to a vile cretin and his wife- she will never be able to get those precious years back!

Ponders Fri 28-Aug-09 20:12:34

who said it was her stepfather? he was a suspect at the time (as you'd expect, given the circs) but none of the current reporting says the abductor was her stepfather.

Ponders Fri 28-Aug-09 20:14:52

oh, I see:

By warthog on Fri 28-Aug-09 09:50:10
but the poor guy who saw her abducted became a suspect. now at least he's proven innocent, although not before his life was ruined.

By AtheneNoctua on Fri 28-Aug-09 10:09:21
And he wasn't just some guy. He was her stepfather.

Athene was responding to warthog's "poor guy who saw her abducted" - that was her stepfather

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now