Talk

Advanced search

Appalling baby story in Afghanistan

(15 Posts)
terf Tue 18-Aug-09 20:04:02

Watched this on the news earlier today and have been feeling sick and awful all day. Then I tried googling to find out if there was a way to donate directly to the hospital in Afghanistan but there doesnt seem to be so I gave to the Red cross.... Shockingly the mortality rate for women in the hospital is 6,500 for every 100,000 with a woman dying every 27 minutes in Afghanistan.

terf Tue 18-Aug-09 20:38:03

Stupidly didnt check the link in the rush to get DD to bed...

Bleatblurt Tue 18-Aug-09 21:04:25

Oh God, that has left me howlilng. sad

Bleatblurt Tue 18-Aug-09 21:05:16

Howling, even. Can't spell for crying.

Callisto Tue 18-Aug-09 21:21:35

The mortality rate for women giving birth in Afghanistan is so high because so many young girls are forced into marraige. I can't bear to read the article, but truly Afghanistan seems to be a kind of hell for the women living there.

cazzybabs Tue 18-Aug-09 21:25:08

horrible horrible horrible

never the mind the women..anyone...that poor baby

terf Tue 18-Aug-09 21:40:33

I know I made the mistake of watching this today and it just devastated me (i've been trying to avoid the news lately) - especially with new mum/breastfeeding hormones running riot. Unfortunately Callisto the rate is really high because most of the women dont have access to proper healthcare - a million women rely on this hospital and have to hike for upto 3 days sometimes during labour to get to the hospital. Millions is being poured into the country but rather than going into healthcare/education its being put into the military - same old story.

sherazade Tue 18-Aug-09 22:00:21

terrible birth defects have increased massively after the invasion of Afghanistan because of depleted uranium. Just like in Iraq.

www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5941.htm

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7373946.stm

my blood is boiling.

malung Tue 18-Aug-09 22:06:25

This was too painful to watch.
Like last nights Panorama. 14yr old brides setting alight to themselves to escape the hell of their lives married to 60 yr old men who beat them.

Truly a vision of hell on earth for woman in Afganistan. Hideous beyond belief. 9 yr old children being sold to old men.angry
Are these people fully human?

HerBeatitude Tue 18-Aug-09 22:15:29

Yes they are, unfortunately they don't think women are.

"Never mind the women". What do you mean?

Ponders Tue 18-Aug-09 22:36:35

There was a piece by Hugh Sykes on the BBC radio news this evening too from an Afghan hospital - can't find a link - about a newborn baby with sepsis (?) & the grandmother saying how much worse it is for women & babies now than before all this blew up in Afghanistan sad

teamcullen Tue 18-Aug-09 22:55:36

sad

Callisto Wed 19-Aug-09 08:11:07

Terf - yes, I didn't mean it's the only reason, just one of many. There are some very sad pics of child brides with commentary by the journalist who took them here: audiovideo.economist.com/?fr_chl=0fa322324169698ba7c97f415d40939f65d6df2d&rf=bm

monkeytrousers Wed 19-Aug-09 18:46:38

I just watched that link Calli. All I can say is that the taliban needs to be utterly defeated. Everyone who tried to help in that link was killed, beheaded or shot by the taliban. No one will have the courage to change things from within this culture.

I think it is a huge moral failing of the US that they pulled their troops out. I only hope ours and others that stayed can help these people get a glimpse of hope for their futures, or maybe their childrens.

NormaSknockers Wed 19-Aug-09 19:03:19

Heartbreaking, just heartbreaking Going to hold my babies that little bit closer tonight & count my very many blessings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now