Advanced search

France bans burkini

(198 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 16:39:20

Message withdrawn

preciouslillywhite Fri 14-Aug-09 16:41:46

"unhygienic" me arse!

MrsFlittersnoop Fri 14-Aug-09 16:50:35

It just beggars belief shock. Being ejected from a swimming pool for being TOO modest?? Are they afraid the nice French kiddies might catch Islam from the water?

I know the French started the trend for topless sunbathing back in the 1960's, but I never expected to see the day when a St Tropez trend threatened to become compulsory.

Whatever next - banning one-piece cozzies? Will I have to force my flab into a bikini if I want to go swimming in France?

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 16:51:32

Message withdrawn

4andnotout Fri 14-Aug-09 16:52:35

When we were camping in france last week dp had to buy a pair of tight trunks as shorts were banned in the municiple pools for supposed hygiene reasons.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 14-Aug-09 17:04:08

Message withdrawn

BigGobMum Fri 14-Aug-09 17:14:28

I seem to recall (years ago) a poor girl drowning in a pool because her hair caught in some underwater grid/water outlet. Sorry but wearing something like this in a pool does seem to me to be a bit unsafe

Morloth Fri 14-Aug-09 17:16:04

Well to be fair you are not allowed to wear t-shirts or boardshorts in public pools in France. They are quite insistent on the bare minimum. I always wear a rashie and was asked to take it off.

The burqini is an Aussie invention! So proud. I ran into a lady wearing the coolest one (in hot pink/purple) when I was home last and have every intention of buying one myself when we move back. Was chatting to her and she actually worked for the company making them and apparently a huge slice of their market in Australia is secular.

With skin that glows in the dark, an all over swimsuit is AWESOME.

Linky

TotalChaos Fri 14-Aug-09 17:45:43

hmm. those swimsuits are lovely on that site you linked to Morloth, I would definitely be interested in something like that to cover the flab if they sold them in the shops over here!

Hulababy Fri 14-Aug-09 17:48:59

France are really strange with their pool hygiene rules. You can't wear swim shorts either as "unhygenic", so I don't actually think this is them being anti religion as such. DH also had to go out and but tight fitting trunks when we stayed in France and used a public pool.

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 18:27:25

Message withdrawn

Miamla Fri 14-Aug-09 18:29:53

there was a huge discussion about this on the radio yesterday. the argument was along the lines of the more fabric in the pool, the harder the chlorine has to work to clean it or something. perhaps someone with a bit more scientific knowledge will be along shortly smile

Miamla Fri 14-Aug-09 18:30:44

oh and the other reason they banned these and bermuda shorts was because they don't let anyone in the pool in something that could feasibly have been worn outside and hence got dirty

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 18:42:47

Message withdrawn

PixiNanny Fri 14-Aug-09 18:56:42

Next they'll ban wetsuits on the beach *rolls eyes* I love burkini's, I'm tempted to buy one myself tbh and have been resisting it for a while, found a few that I'd love instead of a wetsuit!

Miamla Fri 14-Aug-09 19:00:53

does anyone know the reason for muslim ladies covering up their bodies? i had a chat with a girl who was muslim and she said it was because muslim guys couldn't be trusted so the girls had to cover their bodies so they (the guys) weren't tempted. this was just one person's view on it so i'm interested to know if this is the generally accepted reason or just hers

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 19:10:44

Message withdrawn

sherazade Fri 14-Aug-09 19:19:41

yes. and thats actually the only reason.

littleducks Fri 14-Aug-09 19:22:37

Well although the headline is France bans burkhini the article seems to say it was just one pool that refused to let the lady swim

Dh has trouble in the pools here as he has to wear modest swim wear, which is only non skintight shorts to the knee and has been kicked out of pools.

I dont go to open swimming sessions at all but closed ones in a islamic swimsuit. Tbh it isnt that dangerous, as the olympic swimmers wear those move covered suits atm (to go faster) and swim hats.

My husbands cousins live in France and the tgeenage girls find it incredibly hard to manage to balance the religous choices they want to make with the pressures there. They love France and are quite patriotic but really struggle. It has meant difficult schooling choices for them

Morloth Fri 14-Aug-09 19:22:59

Women wear them on the beaches in Australia Riven. The lady I mentioned was a Muslim.

The French are a bit mad about the pool question, absolutely no argument from me there, but I think they are not being any more mental about it being a burqini instead of a rashie/boardshorts.

PixiNanny Fri 14-Aug-09 19:29:29

That's what the muslim girl I know told me too. My Dad told me it's just the way things are (ex-Muslim grew up in Mid East) and I've never seen his two sisters wear anything to cover their hair or anything so I assume they do it when they go home?

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 19:34:01

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 19:34:31

Message withdrawn

stuffitlllama Fri 14-Aug-09 19:38:27

everyone has to wear skin tights I think, it's awful

it's the hair thing I don't get -- in Belgium for pool filter reasons you have to wear a swim hat, men, women, children, almost baldies

so objecting to the hair covering is a bit weird

those cover alls are good. dislike the burkha intensely but the pool coverup I've seen a lot and think it's quite freeing

sarah293 Fri 14-Aug-09 19:42:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now