Talk

Advanced search

Hilarys outburst what do we think?

(193 Posts)
FaceFook Tue 11-Aug-09 22:28:38

here

I even object to the way it is being reported ' over sensitive'

I think not - i think the 'outburst' quite justified !

CMOTdibbler Tue 11-Aug-09 22:29:28

I don't blame her in the least, and think she is totally justified

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 11-Aug-09 22:30:14

My immediate reaction was definitelky good on her, was a bit dubious about the explanation about lost intranslation and talking about Obama

stealthsquiggle Tue 11-Aug-09 22:31:08

I thought it quite justified, if possibly not entirely diplomatic, but judging by the way it is being reported (even R4 was vitriolic) she has no fans whatsoever in the media.

MrsJamesMartin Tue 11-Aug-09 22:31:16

It was a misunderstanding though in the ned wasn't it?

But yes she was rightly annoyed when she thought the man thought she was just there vicariously for her husband!

hester Tue 11-Aug-09 22:32:03

I don't blame her at all.

pasturesnew Tue 11-Aug-09 22:33:42

Completely fair response I think! How is it an "outburst" - it's not as if she added the words, "you idiot" at the end?

franke Tue 11-Aug-09 22:33:52

The Times (I think or possibly one of the other broadsheets) referred to it as a hissy fit. er, I don't think so. I don't blame her, it would have pissed me off (were I the US Secretary of State grin). She looked a bit hot and bothered generally, so maybe was crosser than she would normally be. But justifiably annoyed in any case.

FaceFook Tue 11-Aug-09 22:41:15

'hissy fit' grrr i dont see a male politition being described in such terms

franke Tue 11-Aug-09 22:45:41

Well, that's what I thought. Although I could see some of the macho press using it on Mandelson perhaps if they weren't so scared of the fall-out.

FaceFook Tue 11-Aug-09 22:49:32

Mandy probably considered fair game...

Female journalists would probably empathise with Hillary

PortAndLemon Tue 11-Aug-09 23:08:07

It would probably have been more sensible to have asked the questioner to repeat the question, rather than respond the way she did immediately, given that her job is one where diplomacy is a core skill. But there wasn't anything fundamentally unreasonable about the reaction.

PortAndLemon Tue 11-Aug-09 23:15:54

Of course, if she'd stuck to her original guns and remained Hillary Rodham, rather than making a belated change to Hillary Clinton to support Bill's electoral chances by seeming less scarily feminist to the Arkansas voters, the questioner wouldn't have made the original slip of the tongue...

<<takes unfashionable position that perhaps Hillary isn't enough of a prickly feminist>>

<<not entirely seriously, although come to think of it it's sort of true...>>

dittany Tue 11-Aug-09 23:28:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AitchTwoOh Tue 11-Aug-09 23:31:04

i thought it was pretty fantastic. although she is obviously pre-mentrual.

FaceFook Tue 11-Aug-09 23:36:12

well said dittany

aitch wink

Woooozle100 Tue 11-Aug-09 23:36:37

agree.

Hardly an outburst was it? Succinct response that displayed minor irritation to what really is outrageous sexism

Can't believe I heard two women on radio earlier joking that perhaps it was wrong time of the month

MollieO Tue 11-Aug-09 23:37:29

Bearing in mind her dh's current high profile following his jaunt to NK it is hardly surprising that she is a little sensitive atm.

Woooozle100 Tue 11-Aug-09 23:37:50

bloodyell aitch was that you on the wireless

cherryblossoms Tue 11-Aug-09 23:48:10

I'm thinking "good on her", too.

siouxsieandthebanshees Tue 11-Aug-09 23:56:17

I thought she was quite justified, but not entirely diplomatic!

FaceFook Wed 12-Aug-09 00:19:12

knee-jerk i agree but honest with it

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 12-Aug-09 00:25:32

Although . . [awaits flame] Hilary was always more than happy to share her husband's limelight and political power by association when he was president.

The reporting of it is pretty sexist, but she dealt with it badly. I thought all diplomats were supposed to laugh and smile when they had just been insulted??

FaceFook Wed 12-Aug-09 00:34:45

she was the 'great woman' behind the 'great man' though to be fair!

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 12-Aug-09 00:44:02

hhmmm. I'm not sure that there is anything great about either of them tbh. They wouldn't be high on my 'people with ethics' list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now