Talk

Advanced search

Harriet Harman has been subject to misogynist abuse all week. Tanya Gold has had enough

(54 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 07:32:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Meglet Sun 09-Aug-09 08:19:35

I haven't actually read it properly yet due to a 2 year old bouncing on the bed but I think I can safely say

Rod liddle, for example, is a twat.

LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 08:23:13

theyoungvisiter Sun 09-Aug-09 08:32:35

VERY good article.

I hate how many threads there are to this effect on Mumsnet as well. Which is even worse than hearing Rod Liddle shouting off.

After all you expect Liddle to act like a pub bore, but hearing one sensible middle-age, professional woman deride another on the basis of her clothes, hair and general temerity for having an opinion, is profoundly depressing.

theyoungvisiter Sun 09-Aug-09 08:39:12

some of the comments are genius in their awfulness:

WJohnC:
Don't play the misogyny card, please, it simply won't wash. What we object to is her constant hectoring about how awful britain is to women (has she trtied Iran?)

Er, ok, so it's alright for a country to oppress one group of people as long as another country is doing it WORSE?

You might as well replace the whole post with the simple yet effective "Women: KNOW YOUR PLACE."

Hassled Sun 09-Aug-09 08:40:10

I have now completely revised my previous (poor) view of Tanya Gold, who has written some pretty vacuous stuff in the past. That was a damn good article.

And no, I wouldn't fuck or believe Rod Liddle.

wahwah Sun 09-Aug-09 08:52:31

It seems we are all having enough of women continuing to be treated like shit. That is very good for us all. Let's keep it up.

Ron Liddle is not a for example ladybits, he is, for example, an ingrowing pube on the sagging scrotal sac of masculinity.

LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 10:49:30

edam Sun 09-Aug-09 12:29:11

Also liked this in the Obs today.

ScummyMummy Sun 09-Aug-09 12:37:57

LOVED this article. Agree 100% WITH TG.

Criticism of HM has been ENDEMIC this week- I was completely disgusted watching Mock the Week. All the more so because my sons, who love that unfunny blond one who was a particular culprit, were watching too.

dittany Sun 09-Aug-09 12:41:39

Upwind Sun 09-Aug-09 12:50:22

Nice rant.

I was also annoyed at Mock the Week. I usually love it too. Who was that unfunny woman they had on?

ScummyMummy Sun 09-Aug-09 13:15:22

Someone called Zoe Lyons, apparently, upwind. She seemed a bit out of her depth, I agree. Her voice was a bit drowned out by the men when she did get brave enough to contribute- she was finding it difficult to step up to the mic in the stand up bit, I thought. Mind you, it must be a shit your pants moment for anyone, to be charitable. I often feel very humourless watching MtW, tbh. It has that vibe of a group of enmeshed and exclusive male friends amusing each other in the pub and thinking they're much funnier than they really are... 5 middle class men on a show that rarely has women as guests are the least suitable people to criticise someone for championing women's rights, imo. I accept that the reasons for women failing to break through on the comedy circuit are complex but even so, that lot are usually the perfect visual representation of how far women have to go in some areas, fgs. And it just wasn't funny- a comedy crime! I think Hugh Dennis did make a half-hearted attempt to put a different view across, to be fair. I do like HD, despite not usually finding him lol funny.

LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 13:39:36

KingRolo Sun 09-Aug-09 15:29:36

Great article, nice one Tanya.

Rod Liddle? Would I? I'd rather shoot myself in the head.

I really admire Harriet for the stand she is making.

edam Sun 09-Aug-09 15:43:44

I enjoy Mock the Week but was v. disappointed by this episode. Have noticed it is extremely hostile to female comedians, though. The men talk over them, or shove them out of the way, or even get points for answering a question a women has just answered.

dittany Sun 09-Aug-09 16:17:41

LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 16:50:22

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 09-Aug-09 17:30:26

Misogyny and a bit of union bashing. angry

I'm in.

tallulahbelly Mon 10-Aug-09 14:56:56

Harriet Harman has only herself to blame when she spouts nonsense about all women being able to do things better than all men just because of our genital arrangement and fondness for consensus.

Maybe I should have voted for Margaret Thatcher while I had the chance.

I don't think Harriet Harman believes this for an instant. What I think Harriet believes is that Harriet can do things better than anyone, male or female, but cynically thinks that coming out with the 'girls are best, boys are stinky' line will appeal to women.

Now who's being misogynist?

And I find Tanya Gold's stance on misogyny baffling seeing as she keeps herself in cakes writing pieces in the Mail about what incompetent figures of ridicule fat women are.

Oh, guess what? There's another one in today.

I cringe for someone with that amount of self-loathing and lack of self-awareness.

atlantis Mon 10-Aug-09 15:09:45

Dittany,

what's the popular saying?

'Not in my name'

HH is a boil on the face of womanhood.

Not all women 'can do', just like not all men can do, so why give women a 'free' pass at the top jobs just because they are women?

I wouldn't support this woman if someone paid me.

She's certainly no Maggie Thatcher, love her or hate her she certainly had more brains, character, depth and ba**s than all the women in the labour party combined.
A true Iron Lady not a pathetic whinging upper class troll.

dittany Mon 10-Aug-09 15:13:36

atlantis Mon 10-Aug-09 15:34:09

Diottany,

"Not in my name" is generally used about evils like war or torture"

Yes, both of which this government, of which HH is part have done both, an illegal war which killed innocent women and children and torture colluding with the USA.

So 'Not in my name'.

If only HH were more like her sister, then she might be worth the effort.

dittany Mon 10-Aug-09 15:45:20

atlantis Mon 10-Aug-09 15:52:16

She was in the cabinet at the time and the cabinet was unanimous (aparently), although you can't believe anything this government actually say.

'wheel out the woman' ??

She would be 'equally' to blame as anyone else in this sorry history of our country, if she wants to hold up her hands and hide behind the men of the cabinet and say she isn't to blame because she was 'only a woman and the men decided' then she's not doing her job and therefore shouldn't be in the cabinet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now