Talk

Advanced search

More Tourists who I have no sympathy for

(15 Posts)
pseudoname Sat 08-Aug-09 12:57:29

The law graduates in Brazil who lied to police so they could collect insurance once they got back home.

You would have thought they'd be more clued up.

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 12:59:24

They've been very, very stupid but think they are learning their lesson now.

Stayingsunnygirl Sat 08-Aug-09 13:10:55

I doubt this is going to do their legal careers any good.

pseudoname Sat 08-Aug-09 13:12:35

dh thinks that this probably wouldn't have been the first time they have tried this scam and / or they have witnessed it working with other people and felt comfortable with trying it on.

expatinscotland Sat 08-Aug-09 13:15:25

Too bad they won't be locked up for a bit.

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 13:23:23

pseudo, one of the news stories mentioned apparently this is a common trick amongst travellers out there. The police have got wise to it.

LIZS Sat 08-Aug-09 13:27:51

yes apparently it is a common way to fund the flight home after a lengthy trip hmm Stupid girls.

pseudoname Sat 08-Aug-09 13:43:09

15 yrs ago or so (i'm getting old) I remember 2 European women (Dutch) I believe tried to do this in Belize and the police caught them in the lie. It was the first time i heard of the scam.

Apparently they (these dutch girls) were in tears trying to say sorry but the police were not feeling generous that day and locked them up, if just for a while to give them a lesson.

TheCrackFox Sat 08-Aug-09 15:06:03

I worked in hotels for years (this country and America)and this scam is pulled all the time. Mainly by 18-25 yr olds from middle class backgrounds. I think they somehow think everyone else is of lesser intelligence and cannot work out it is a scam.
The police get involved, interview all the minimum wage chamber maids (very upsetting for them) and always leave saying "we think this is a scam but we are not going to take it any further".

I am glad this case has got a lot of publicity. It is a nasty, spiteful trick to pull and we should not just shrug it off as only insurance fraud.

pseudoname Sat 08-Aug-09 17:42:54

that is my impression CrackFox. the kids who try on this scam are arrogant enough to think that the police in some backwater has never seen this scam before - like they are more world aware or something.

MrsGuyofGisbourne Mon 10-Aug-09 19:23:38

Totally agree - no sympathy for them - pity the poor bus drivers/chambermaids who get quizzed - they should be locked up for fraud.

tallulahbelly Mon 10-Aug-09 22:21:07

They graduated from their law course some time ago and appear to have been taking an extended sabbatical since.

Therefore how useful that they are now getting a first-hand experience of criminal law and in a foreign country to boot.

I imagine that will only assist them in their future careers.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 10-Aug-09 22:24:16

Message withdrawn

Meglet Mon 10-Aug-09 22:27:08

How on earth can they have come through University studying law and still be this stupid angry.

MollieO Mon 10-Aug-09 22:34:29

I doubt any law firm will employ them. Crimes of dishonesty are taken very seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now