Advanced search

Shop manager bans all foreign students

(11 Posts)
Tidey Sun 02-Aug-09 23:24:52

Surely this isn't allowed?

saadia Sun 02-Aug-09 23:30:36

does seem a bit extreme (and illegal).

Tidey Sun 02-Aug-09 23:33:44

I can see how it would be annoying to have people come into a furniture shop and sit there eating their lunch, but surely he should put up a big sign banning food, not foreign students. How does he know that some of the people eating McDonalds weren't from the UK anyway?

GrinnyPig Sun 02-Aug-09 23:40:41

I think the law probably says that a shopkeeper can refuse to serve anyone without giving a reason, but I'm fairly sure they can't display a notice effectively saying "no foreigners".
A polite notice asking people not to bring food into the shop should be good enough.

Are they next door to a language school?

paisleyleaf Mon 03-Aug-09 23:13:41

I don't think they're next door to a language school
I think he's next door to McDonalds.

He's not thought that through, and should instead have a sign that says 'No unaccompanied under 18 year olds' , or 'no food'.

SlartyBartFast Mon 03-Aug-09 23:14:30

i knew it would be eastbourne!!
i just knew it.

FAQtothefuture Tue 04-Aug-09 00:01:14

how on earth did the come up with the idea that their furniture is "of no interest" to them??

brimfull Tue 04-Aug-09 00:04:57

bit obvious they don't wanna buy it if they're just sprawled on it munching their chips

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 04-Aug-09 00:16:05

Illegal.

Fine to say, 'no eating on premises...'

Fine to say, 'no sitting and eating...'

But illegal to say, 'if you aren't from around here, no eating and sitting...'

Like people from Dorset wink

BitOfFun Tue 04-Aug-09 00:22:07

It seems rather odd. And puts me in mind of the door-stepping investigative journalist on a hidden camera show who confronted a landlord on air for placing an advert which stipulated "No Asians". The poor landlord was baffled until they realised he had asked for his ad to say "No Agents" grin

SomeGuy Wed 05-Aug-09 12:30:56

Indeed www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM9Ereg2Zo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now