Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sarah Palin getting divorced

(153 Posts)
policywonk Sat 01-Aug-09 22:35:33

admittedly not the world's most respected media outlet, but...

Wonder if this contributed to her resignation?

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 01-Aug-09 22:40:03

Does this mean that she resigned as Governor not to pursue a campaign, but because she's getting divorced? hmm

policywonk Sat 01-Aug-09 22:41:32

Possibly. She has big debt trouble as well.

I wonder whether this would put an end to her presidential ambitions? Republicans probably don't go a bundle on divorced women (entirely hypocritical obviously, but that doesn't usually stop 'em grin)

squeaver Sat 01-Aug-09 22:43:58

I think that explains it all.

muggglewump Sat 01-Aug-09 22:44:28

Isn't she the smug one who was quite vile (imo of course) when trying to get into the vice president slot?

Always sad when a marriage breaks up.

(hhhaaahhhaaaahhhaaahahahaha)

policywonk Sat 01-Aug-09 22:51:12

That's the one, mugggle

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 01-Aug-09 22:55:24

Well, that's her political career down the pan. The Republican right wing, would almost certainly not back a divorced woman. Not sure it's hypocritical as they probably wouldn't back a divorced man << suddenly remembers that Ronald Reagan was divorced>>

muggglewump Sun 02-Aug-09 00:39:58

I would love to hear her take on it.

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 00:46:09

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to ROFL...

Did her daughter ever get married? (I kind of hoped dd would stand up to Mama and say, sod your presidential ambitions, I don't HAVE to get a ring on my finger...)

TheCrackFox Sun 02-Aug-09 00:47:51

No the engagement hmm was off pretty quickly after they lost.

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 00:50:27

So, possibly the 'engagement' never really existed, then?

Oh well, am glad SP's daughter didn't have a shotgun wedding. Assuming she didn't want a shotgun wedding, that is.

zazen Sun 02-Aug-09 01:26:28

No better woman than SP to wield a shotgun though by all accounts. Heli-sniping a speciality [hum]

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 08:34:48

Very true!

expatinscotland Sun 02-Aug-09 08:40:26

Cool, now we don't have to worry about her taking government offices again.

No, the daughter never married the guy and they now fight over access to their child and she called him white trash on some blog.

I mean, duh!

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 10:13:33

Not exactly the Republican ideal nuclear family then. grin

sayanything Sun 02-Aug-09 10:42:54

Edam the daughter also went on TV and said she didn't think "abstinence only" preaching worked. She was brought back into the GOP fold soon enough though.

However, the divorce story has been denied.

Swedes Sun 02-Aug-09 10:51:57

No wonder women and under-represented in politics. Poor woman.

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 11:08:27

I can live quite happily with people like Palin being under-represented in politics, thanks.

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 11:09:25

And the Major government suffered from male ministers being exposed as hypocrites for espousing 'family values' while shagging around.

(Horrible image of David Mellor has just come into my mind. eek.)

Swedes Sun 02-Aug-09 11:19:18

I think Mellor's political currency was improved by the fact that he had managed to humour the de Sanchez woman into bed. It works differently for women.

sayanything Sun 02-Aug-09 11:21:34

Poor woman? No. She put "family values" front and centre of her campaign, which means what goes on in her own family is open to scrutiny. She espoused the view that government should be deeply involved at what goes on in citizens' bedrooms, based on her view of god, then she'd better practice what she preaches.

[shudders at thought of Palin in the White House ]

LeninGrad Sun 02-Aug-09 11:24:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Sun 02-Aug-09 11:26:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KristinaM Sun 02-Aug-09 11:26:44

i think this is double standards angry

lots of male politicians get divorced/seperate from their partners without it hitting the headlines

edam Sun 02-Aug-09 12:29:21

Male politicians who bang on about family values and propose policies that would hurt single parents ARE criticised when they are exposed as hypocrites.

Mind you, no-one ever pointed out that Maggie had married a divorced man when she was going on about morality...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now