(13 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 30-Jul-09 13:34:33

RIP Henry.

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 13:36:08

Yes indeed.
<bows head>

Meglet Thu 30-Jul-09 13:37:10

sad.

But smile to a life lived to the full, and then some.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 30-Jul-09 13:37:34

I just feel so moved seeing the huge bouquet of flowers on his coffin and the amount of people who turned out to pay their respects. He seemed such a lovely man.

BadgersArse Thu 30-Jul-09 13:38:07

YEs rip etc.
BUT i do dislike the" AW HE was everyones best grandpa" line, its rather patronising to him.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 30-Jul-09 13:38:29

It is an utter disgrace that he wasn't Sir Henry.

bratley Thu 30-Jul-09 13:39:18

I just watched the piece on the news about him and smiled the whole way through it.
What a beautiful person he was.

RIP Mr Allingham.

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 13:46:44

Aye, a virile soldier fighting for his country reduced in status to a...grandad.

Great. hmm

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Thu 30-Jul-09 15:42:29

I was outside the church, watching the service on the big screens.

It was lovely, a great service, and everyone there was reverent and respectful without it being terribly sombre.

When they played the last post, after his coffin had been taken out of the church, I had to shed a tear. I work with older people and met lots of war veterans. It was a real privilege to be there.

The fly past was amazing too. The little planes looked like they were made of balser wood and lolly sticks - it really bought a sense of the danger that those brave men went through, and their extreme vulnerability.

Hope that doesn't sound mawkish - it was just genuinely very, very moving.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 30-Jul-09 16:08:32

It must have felt a great honour to be there, TMWOSQ.

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Thu 30-Jul-09 18:50:41

Yes. And lucky that it was just round the corner from work smile

Frasersmum123 Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:28

He is an absolute Hero and I definately agree he should have been made Sir Henry.

I read a piece in the paper about him on Sunday which said that he always shot enemies below the knee, so as to disable rather than kill.

HarleyQuinn Thu 30-Jul-09 19:42:36

R.I.P Mr. Allingham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now