Talk

Advanced search

No Newsnight, I really DO want a wind turbine in my back yard

(45 Posts)
VulpusinaWilfsuit Wed 29-Jul-09 22:43:14

FGS. Fecking NIMBY nonsense.

I would happily have on in my garden. Especially if it provided me with free electricity.

France has the right idea. The govt just has to TELL people to put em up. And get over it. Wot Ed Miliband said: the bigger threat is climate change.

I can't bear all this conservative nonsense about protecting some Victorian notion of the British countryside as if it weren't all shaped by human cultures and capitalism anyway.

Bah.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Wed 29-Jul-09 23:09:58

Oh. Just me then.

ForExample Wed 29-Jul-09 23:11:22

Not not just you. But my dh seems to have put bloody QI on again.

swineofthetimes Wed 29-Jul-09 23:15:16

I'd have one too. Far rather that than be flooded or fried thank you.

LynetteScavo Wed 29-Jul-09 23:15:19

I love wind trubines - I think they are beautiful.

ingles2 Wed 29-Jul-09 23:15:40

I'd love one Wilf... great big garden, really windy, massive elecy bills. Can't afford to install one though even with their crappy grants

mollyroger Wed 29-Jul-09 23:15:45

wathc this space -there will be an alternative which even the NIMBYs can't object to....

janeite Wed 29-Jul-09 23:16:45

I think they are lovely - but my garden is hardly big enough for a gnome, let alone a wind turbine.

JodieO Wed 29-Jul-09 23:17:09

Aren't they extremely inefficient?

mollyroger Wed 29-Jul-09 23:19:37

our friend has created an alternative which any building can have, even in conservation area.

And you will make your money back in 2 years.
(AND funding will be available to help you get one in the first place)
The team have been working on it for two years and soon I will be able to tell you more...but not yet! <<patents etc>>

NoReturnsPlease Wed 29-Jul-09 23:23:39

They are bloody noisy though

A factory has one behind my house and I had to chane DS's room

frAKKINPannikin Wed 29-Jul-09 23:25:06

Really? The one on DP's family estate is eerily quiet. Unless British ones are vv noisy.

UniS Fri 31-Jul-09 12:43:10

I think they are rather beautiful too. very elegant (the big ones at any rate). NO idea what they sound like tho.

bronze Fri 31-Jul-09 12:45:25

I'm another who wouldn't mind.
Had a load of nimbys come round with a petition about some the other day. I erm didn't impress them

AnnieLobeseder Fri 31-Jul-09 12:47:57

Wots a nimby? [ignorant emoticon]

I love wind turbines and would definitely get one if they weren't so frikkin' expensive.

I dream of moving into an eco-house with solar panels and wind turbines and hay for insulation etc etc.....

bronze Fri 31-Jul-09 12:48:38

Not In My Back Yard

PortAndLemon Fri 31-Jul-09 12:53:15

Apparently they tend to kill bats (something to do with changing pockets of air pressure) which has put me off them slightly (wouldn't have minded one before that). Supposedly reviews are being done to make them more bat-friendly, though.

geordieminx Fri 31-Jul-09 12:53:31

Not In My Back Yard

I have worked in telecoms for years, and had the same issue with people complaining that the coverage is crap but do9nt want a mst within 20 miles cos "they give you cancer" hmm

I would love one in my backyard - ds (2) is obsessed with them - there are 3 about 10 miles away from us - if he is a good boy I take him down to see them, we can park right next to them - he loves it!

They arent a soloution to energy crisis though - I forget the figure but I think its something like 20 wind turbines are required to be turning 24 hours a day to provide enough electricity for 1 home.

paranoidmother Fri 31-Jul-09 13:01:23

I want a wind turbine. I looked into it and you have to find out if you have enough wind coming through your garden. So I spoke to the people who measure it about a mile away and they said no, so you wouldn't get one. Apparantly if I measure the wind it doesn't count either. All I wanted was free electricity for us and the house next door. The school up the road has one and it provides 90% of their electricity.

TheChilliMooseISNOTFOREATING Fri 31-Jul-09 13:16:55

I would like a wind turbine. Using nature and saving cash: what could be better?

Callisto Fri 31-Jul-09 14:27:32

I wouldn't object either, but unfortunately wind turbines are not the answer as they are an unreliable source of electricity and not terribly cost effective. They kill birds too - in the US it has been found that turbines on migratory routes have a very detrimental effect on bird numbers. Think nimby's are twats though - I wouldn't object to a nuclear power station in my back yard (as long as the French or Yanks build it) if it means that the lights don't go out in a few years time.

LionstarBigPants Fri 31-Jul-09 14:35:35

I'm a bit ambivalent on the really big wind-farm types. What I don't get though is why all those flat rooftops in cities aren't covered in small ones - its not space that is being used now, and they would hardly be destroying any areas of natural beauty, or disturb the peace! A city covered in turbines would surely generate quite a bit?

Reallytired Fri 07-Aug-09 21:51:47

I don't want a wind turbine in my back garden. I don't think it would generate enough electricity to justify itself.

However I would love to have solar panels on my roof.

One of my bug bares about energy microgeneration is that people think they are being terribly green doing microgeneration, but then they don't do simple things like turning off lights, PCs, closing the door or using the tumble dyer unnecessarily, pathtetically short car journeys. The school I work at wants to get solar panels, but then they don't recycle cardboard. Its a bit laughable.

frostyfingers Mon 10-Aug-09 10:28:14

We have objected to wind turbines in our area for several reasons, 1) the damage that is done to the landscape whilst they put them up - a new access track has to be built up a mountain and will remain 2) they will only provice a small amount of electricity, none of which will directly benefit the immediate locality 3) they're damn ugly. 4) I also have a large suspicion that it's all to do with money - the local landowner on whose land they may be sited will make huge amounts, the company building them are trying to bribe the local community by offering £20,000 over 5 years to an enormous area. Yes I know it's not for charity, but I don't think the over riding reasons are for the environment.....

If it could be done so that smaller turbines directly benefited the area in which they are sited (ie the local town/village) then I think less people would object. My feeling is that the people affected by the presence of them, do not feel as though they are getting anything back for putting up with what many consider an eyesore. Currently they seem to be noisy, inefficient, ugly and not particularly beneficial to the local area.

If I felt we were directly getting some of the electricty then I'd change my mind - yes, selfish I know, but I think if they started out selling the positive side to the locals they might get further.

I agree with Reallytired too about doing the small stuff yourself.

gizmo Mon 10-Aug-09 16:24:23

Sorry to say that at micro (ie household or <5 kW) level the evidence is that wind turbines are not a good investment for clean energy generation, particularly if you're in an urban environment. In many parts of the UK you're better off with solar PV if it's electricity you're interested in, or better still, solar thermal/ground source heat pump for space and water heating. All of those have a better efficiency in reducing your Co2 output/£1000.

But, one thing that is pretty clear is that the future of low carbon energy generation is going to depend upon a mix of solutions, probably involving:

- energy efficiency (including smart grid and better building stock)
- micro generation (solar, wind, water, solar thermal, ground source heat pumps)
- large scale renewables (wind, tidal, wave)
- nuclear

Trying to create a properly low carbon economy without one part of the system is going to be like trying to run a body without a kidney - it might just tick over but you're always going to be aware that there is a better alternative just around the corner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now