Talk

Advanced search

Met office cools summer forecast

(14 Posts)
flockwallpaper Wed 29-Jul-09 12:34:43

BBC news

So..was the original 'barbeque summer' forecast a ploy to boost the UK economy by encouraging us to holiday in the UK and get soaking wet instead of lying on a sunny beach somewhere warm?

imagines a treasury employee slipping a tenner into the pocket of met office weather official

badgermonkey Wed 29-Jul-09 12:42:50

My DH was against my booking a holiday abroad on the basis that it was going to be lovely here, we live by the sea anyway, and it would be a waste of a nice summer to go away. Now we're going in a week and it's tipping it down, he's a lot more happy about the fact we're off on holiday!

We walked round town last night and felt quite sorry for people on their family holidays here. When the weather's good, it's a lovely place to come to, but when it rains there's not much for families to do in the evenings.

Ledodgy Wed 29-Jul-09 12:47:53

I am thanking God we went to Cornwall in the first week in June when it was 26 C everyday. grin

TheCrazyFrog Wed 29-Jul-09 12:50:01

I can't believe people would not book a foreign holiday based on a forecast that was made three months ago.

They generally don't even get it right a week in advance, so anyone who bought into the "It's going to be a hot summer," forecasts is incredibly naive IMO.

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 29-Jul-09 12:53:48

<<puts fans back into loft>>

northender Wed 29-Jul-09 12:56:29

They can't even get it right a day in advance. I planned today based on the cast iron forecast it would pour down all day yet there hasn't been a drop yet.

TheBolter Wed 29-Jul-09 12:56:55

<<Feels smug at the thought of buggering offthis weekend to France for two weeks!>>

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 13:02:05

Bolter, don't feel too smug

Have you not seen the forecast for France? grin

southeastastra Wed 29-Jul-09 13:03:27

still seems muggy though, even in the rain, so i will be making the most of my british holiday and will be on the beach at 9am grin to get my money's worth

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 13:05:30

quite cold here, for end July

aout 14-15 deg C

more like March than July sad

littlerach Wed 29-Jul-09 13:08:59

Well it took our minds off the recession for abit, didn't it?

Then Swine Flu took our minds off the crap weather.

What will it be next?

grin

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 13:17:01

widespread flooding, of course

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 13:17:03

widespread flooding, of course

newpup Wed 29-Jul-09 13:28:08

I am having deja vu for school summer holidays last year. Wet, cold and windy, turned lovely after the DDs went back to school in September!

Remembers all the cancelled picnics, meeting in parks, b-b-qs we cancelled last Summer and were hoping to have this year. Ho Humm sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now