Talk

Advanced search

Felipe Massa - stable

(24 Posts)
JackBauer Sun 26-Jul-09 07:10:01

Here

After the crash yesterday in qualifying they are saying he is serious but stable and will be woken today.

The pictures of his helmet, the most technologically advanced helmet in teh world, are horrifying.

LostGirl Sun 26-Jul-09 08:02:26

Shocking pictures. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Kayzr Sun 26-Jul-09 08:06:36

Hope he is better soon. It was horrible to watch yesterday.

Where are the pictures of his helmet?

LostGirl Sun 26-Jul-09 08:14:48

Hang on a sec, I'll find a link, warning though, Massa is still wearing it just after the crash.

LostGirl Sun 26-Jul-09 08:16:04

Here

LynetteScavo Sun 26-Jul-09 08:18:25

This explains why DH was in such a bad mood yesterday afternoon.

He didn't say anything about it, and I couldn't figure out whay he was being so grumpy.

spookycharlotte121 Sun 26-Jul-09 08:21:38

god thats awful..... poor guy. Hope he is ok.

Kayzr Sun 26-Jul-09 08:22:25

Urgh now wishing I hadn't asked!

I saw Senna crash and I always freak out when there is a big crash.

Furball Sun 26-Jul-09 08:28:41

yes dh showed me that picture yesterday.

horrific - I hope he makes a full recovery.

ABetaDad Sun 26-Jul-09 08:37:32

Just saw it on Sky the spring flying off the back of the car in front and hittng him was probably an awful freak accident.

It is still a dangerous sport. I agree with McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh - we do get blase about the danger. Ironicly, the more 'safe' any activity becomes the less aware of risk we become.

I see Felipe Massa is now stable in hospital. Good news.

JackBauer Sun 26-Jul-09 08:50:50

That helmet pic is awful isn't it?
DH is a biker and this sort of thing is what terrifies me, he would never have seen that coming, and it was a massive spring, but as DH says it shows that the safety precautions work as the helmet stopped the worst of it, and he wasn't injured anywhere apart from his head so the car did as it was supposed to as well (crumpled and absorbed shock)

Bloody BBC keep ending report with how dangerous it is, DH keeps repeating exactly what you have said Abeta, and I agree.

Although there could have been mroe coverage like thsi for poor Henry Surtees last week...

LeninGrad Sun 26-Jul-09 08:53:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JackBauer Sun 26-Jul-09 08:59:29

True Lenin,, I was thinking the same. They can't have an enclosed cockpit as in the case of a roll they wouldn't be able to get out as easily but a roll cage woudl surely help.
It might not have stopped Massa's but would have meant Surtee's woudln't have taken the full impact on his head.

But then again, how many times has a projectile landed in the cockpit like that? Such a freak accident, but 2 ina fortnight.

LeninGrad Sun 26-Jul-09 09:10:18

JackBauer Sun 26-Jul-09 19:38:53

But that's a Le Mans car and the races are different, F1 has always been open cockpit that is a defining feature of the race AFAIK.

<disclaimer, not an F1 expertsmile>

LeninGrad Sun 26-Jul-09 22:21:56

JackBauer Mon 27-Jul-09 13:34:15

Well, to be fair, they were 2 freak accidents, it really doesn't happen often, and they do have the high bit behind their heads for rolling. It would just change the whole ethos of F1 to have a covered cockpit.
No-one has died in F1 since the late, great Ayrton Senna, and most injuries are from crashing, and the good thing this incident shows is that the car did absolutley the right thing ina crash as he had no injuries from the actual impact IYSWIM>

He is able to communicate so looking good.

(I do see your point though)

LeninGrad Mon 27-Jul-09 14:26:35

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 14:53:16

Technically no drivers have died in F1. Several marshals/stewards have died.

bradsmissus Mon 27-Jul-09 15:02:06

Well Senna died while racing as did another driver, Rowland Ratzenburger on the same weekend.

Having said that, I am a big F1 fan so I am not suggesting anything should be changed. Drivers are fully aware of the dangers and participate knowing these things can happen.

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 15:03:33

I meant "died in F1 since Senna" -- responding to what JackBauer had posted.

Kayzr Mon 27-Jul-09 15:04:22

I do agree with Bradsmissus. They know the risks and they choose to do it.

I am sure they will be looking at more safety features after these 2 incidents.

bradsmissus Mon 27-Jul-09 15:05:18

Sorry! Got all over sensitive!

JackBauer Mon 27-Jul-09 18:10:54

Sorry PandL, that's what I meant to say, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now