Talk

Advanced search

Lost lottery ticket handed in

(9 Posts)
PM73 Fri 24-Jul-09 13:17:24

Just been listening to the news on the radio & there was a story about a couple who had found a lottery ticket on the floor,handed it in & claimed the £30K prize.

Paid off their debts,bought household things & treated their children with half the money & then the real lottery ticket buyer proved that she was the original owner & took them to court.Judge has ruled that they must give her the remaining monies & interest.The lady has said she intends to sue Camelot for the remainder.

Apparantly when the couple claimed the money they declared that they had bought the ticket & it is that that the judge has ruled on.

If it were me i would have handed it in cos i believe in karma.

PM73 Fri 24-Jul-09 13:20:20

"link here news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8166483.stm"

NormaSknockers Fri 24-Jul-09 19:05:57

Wow, I'm really amazed (in a good way) that she was able to prove it was she who had bought it & been given at least some of the money back.

I'd like to think if I found a lottery ticket I'd hand it in, although I think I'd be very tempted to keep it, but....no I would hand it in. Hey if no one comes forward then you'd have the money fair & square with no fear if being sued somewhere down the line!

Very wrong of them to claim they'd bought it when handing it in!!

SparklyGothKat Fri 24-Jul-09 19:12:48

how can she prove it was that ticket IYKWIM?? <<confused>>

elvislives Fri 24-Jul-09 19:16:29

I think they can tell when and where it was bought, so in a dispute presumably one person is able to correctly identify the outlet they bought it from and the date?

SparklyGothKat Fri 24-Jul-09 19:19:27

it was on the co-op floor, so I assume it was brought in the co-op?? still confused lol

differentID Fri 24-Jul-09 19:22:09

the original purchaser used the same numbers every week, so I'm going to assume she uses one of those playsheets.
Each has a different number which can probably be matched up to individual tickets bought.
That is how they were able to match it up. I think.

HerBeatitude Fri 24-Jul-09 19:22:57

Do you get a receipt with lottery tickets?

Am really suprised she managed to prove she had bought it.

HerBeatitude Fri 24-Jul-09 19:23:17

oops sorry cross posted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now