Talk

Advanced search

puma attacked horse 10 mins away from my house

(26 Posts)
starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:00:24

What do people think about this
here

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:01:12

Have we suddenly been relocated to the African tundra?

starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:03:00

it seems so lol it is a bit worrying though. it was my vet that was called

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:04:20

Where do these animals come from? Are they illegal pets that have escaped? Makes you think what next, tigers roaming around the fens? Wild lions in the Peak District?

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:04:35

There were reports of pumas in the UK a couple of years ago, escaped from somewhere.

sarah293 Wed 22-Jul-09 11:05:41

Message withdrawn

Disenchanted3 Wed 22-Jul-09 11:06:26

Apparently they were common pets years ago but when the dangerous animal act was introduced and owners of big cats required a lincense many people just 'released' them rather than bother to get one.

starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:08:19

there have been reports of big cats around here before but the cat has always been black. Maybe it dyed its hair?

Chevre Wed 22-Jul-09 11:08:31

i heard this on the radio. it was reported like a perfectly normal event. next week - the sloth savaged by giraffes

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:09:07

How odd to have a puma as a pet, hardly pet friendly is it? All we have down here in the south east (as far as I know) are lots of wild boar and tons and tons of wild mink (released by animal activists and now breeding like rabbits) My parents keep having their garden dug up by the wild boar and deer!

starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:10:34

you would think they would be out with dogs or something trying to track it. The stables are now making a fortune cos the people with horses are paying a lot more to have their horses stabled at night.

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:11:32

maybe they're adorable when they are cubs? Some people are just daft. Wasn't it in the USA somewhere that people had a fad for pet alligators until they got a bit bigger and the owners suddenly realised it was perhaps not such a good idea? Unless this was another of dh's tall stories.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:14:19

I think that was a bit of an urban myth zzz, it went something along the lines of people flushing them down the toilet and loads of giant alligators living in the sewers, or something!

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:15:12

yes that was what dh said

starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:15:28

All joking aside it does worry me a bit. I know its unlikely that it would come near here but you would think its unlikely that it would be there too.

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:15:40

they can't have been that big if they managed to flush them down the loo

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:17:12

Maybe they shoved them down with a loo brush

ZZZenAgain Wed 22-Jul-09 11:18:29

wonder if they have a homing instinct?

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:19:36

Ouch! You'd get a bit of a shock if you're sitting on the loo, reading the sunday papers one day and up pops a rather irate alligator!

starshaker Wed 22-Jul-09 11:38:01

has anybody else had big cat sighting near their house. On the F word there was an incident with the lambs that they say was a big cat attack

paisleyleaf Wed 22-Jul-09 11:57:46

We have rumours of big cats every so often down our way, but I've not particularly believed them.....I think there'd be a lot more devastation if there was a big cat prowling around. Scotland is more feasible.

ProfYaffle Wed 22-Jul-09 12:05:37

I see Muntjac deer quite often, the first time I saw one I thought it was a big cat or dog, they're about that size. I'm not saying it was a Muntjac who attacked this horse but I wonder if some sightings are down to them.

monkeytrousers Wed 22-Jul-09 13:55:26

"If you stand still the animal will totally ignore you. They really are not dangerous to humans."

Why are they saying this? They are dangerous, especially to kids.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jul-09 13:58:33

the aligator thing was an urban myth was it not?
although i do remember hearing that their are either more tiger or lions (can't remember which) in north america as private pets than there are living in the wild. anyone heard that one before and know if its an urban myth?

I've seen wild wallabies in the Peak District on more than one occasion. Not quite as exciting as a puma but still good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now