Talk

Advanced search

Teletext services closing - please help save GameCentral...

(20 Posts)
GodzillasBumcheek Mon 20-Jul-09 22:39:08

GameCentral is the name of the pages on ITV/C4 which do news, reviews, and letters pages about all formats of games and consoles.

It is a regular read for me, twice a day (it updates at 6pm) and the only place i trust to give me unbiased reviews!

Please sign the petition to save it here.

Thanks

GodzillasBumcheek Tue 21-Jul-09 08:36:44

Wow, what an excellent response - would it have helped if i'd posted a picture of a 'cute' kid and asked people to vote for it?

JandLandG Tue 21-Jul-09 11:41:20

i absolutely love ceefax i.e teletext on bbc, but oracle/teletext is rubbish.

i also love godzilla, but on this occassion, i reject your call gbc...go and attend to your godzukis and don't mourn for the loss of teletext on itv!

by the way, we got digital television last year and the teletext on it is shit! i watch analogue and get proper ceefax in all its glory.

i'm obsessed by teletext and am going to write a book about it, i reckon. who would buy?

my first teletext memory is finding out that poland was under martial law after the solidarnorsc unrest...page 150, tip top for breaking news. now it has the fuckin shitty lottery results on it half the time....down with bad thngs, i say!

browntrout Thu 23-Jul-09 20:44:04

I love proper teletext too - the version via digital tv is really bad. I used to think it was so hi-tech - making the page a bit bigger and putting it on hold and the news pages also used to allow me to pretend to be a newsreader when I was a child blush. Used to do my best received pronunciation voice and tried very hard not to make any mistakes.

Oh, and also my name was on it once in a news item (long story) and a friend in Belfast phoned me to say she had seen it - I had no idea. That was quite a moment.

Please do write a book - I would def buy it. The BBC version was the only one of any note really tho occasionally I used the C4 one. Which one had that Bamboozle quiz - I liked that too.

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 20:49:21

oh dh used to play bamboozle!

lolol

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 26-Jul-09 21:06:42

No, sorry JandLandG, i wouldn't buy a book about it! Teletext i can stand to lose (although i will miss the weather pages too), it's the GameCentral pages i am particularly concerned with.

JandLandG Wed 29-Jul-09 00:38:58

godzilla, you're a complete dingbat, but hats off to you for raising the teletext issue.

in fact, i'm raising the stakes; i'm gonna write a west end musical about ceefax set to the music of echo and the bunnymen.

see how google and microsoft will quake at the thought of a resurgent oracle. page 160 for local news set to the cutter will send the willies up those californian nerdies!

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 30-Jul-09 10:15:17

Oh...you were joking.

Well considering the mass of inane books out there i thought you were just a bit mad grin

JandLandG Thu 30-Jul-09 22:48:11

i am...ha ha. mad about teletext!

JandLandG Thu 30-Jul-09 22:48:13

i am mad...ha ha. mad about teletext!

SomeGuy Fri 31-Jul-09 01:10:03

I used to read the Teletext games reviews when I was about 13. I didn't realise they still did them. I didn't realise anyone still used Teletext tbh.

They should bring back Gamesmaster instead. (Clip here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMVp85Ajcg)

GodzillasBumcheek Fri 31-Jul-09 11:10:41

That's what DH often says, lol

Yes it does still exist, until January next year anyway.
Maybe you ought to give it a try (if you're still a gamer that is)

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 16:56:44

GC is great

But if it annoys the DM- style extremos who write their daily bile to Teletext letters then maybe there's a good side (yesterday: NOBODY should be able to claim benefits without a decade of work, incuding disabled from what I could suss. Oh and a few send em all back BNP stylees also

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 06-Aug-09 16:15:15

I didn't know that people wrote things like that in - tis a bit extreme!

They will just express their unkind (understatement) nature through other mediums though.

But the thing is, none of that crap is spouted on GC so why's it got to go as well?

<Goes into rants about paying tv licensing even though Game Central is on ITV so it really is irrelevant>

southeastastra Thu 06-Aug-09 16:17:57

i remember starting a rant on here about how sad it was itv was losing it's children's programmes (cause of junk food advertising bans) no one gave a stuff then

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 06-Aug-09 16:38:04

Well soooooorry wink

Nobody gives a stuff about Game Central either (on MN anyway) if it's any consolation.

I wouldn't have noticed ITV stopping children's telly as when we found out analogue would be switched off we went and got a freeview box and now have citv and cbbc.

Ok we waited until we could afford it, then bought a freeview box, it wasn't a cash flash moment!

PeachyLaPeche Thu 06-Aug-09 17:04:52

We noticed becase for soem reason CITV in wales vanished for over a year- just got it back, transmittor crap.

The trouble with teletext isn't the quiality of things like GC, it's that when you say anything about teletext peoplesay 'ooooh I didnt kmnow it still existed'

It's been utdone by t'interweb

NotsoDH Fri 07-Aug-09 14:27:31

I have registered with MN just to post in this thread. If any of your DHs or DSs (see I know the lingo) are gamers then would you kindly sign the petition to save gamcentral. They are the best video games service around. Otherwise all the gaming males in your household will be miserable in jan next year.

www.teletext.co.uk/gamecentral

www.petitiononline.com/SaveGC

<goes to lurk in other threads>

GodzillasBumcheek Fri 07-Aug-09 22:36:03

peachy - that's where my household is different, see, cos we were latecomers to the internet so relied on teletext for a long while for up to date weather etc too. And since we have only a laptop on sparodically, it's part of our brekkie routine to sit at the table and read Game Central and the news (the science stuff is particularly interesting) or I lose touch with the world!

GodzillasBumcheek Fri 07-Aug-09 22:37:32

NotsoDH - stuff my DH and DS (or rather, DDs), it's my gaming habit i'm bovvered about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now