Talk

Advanced search

Swine flu: pregnant women and those with small children to avoid crowds and unnecessary travel

(6 Posts)
Upwind Sun 19-Jul-09 11:51:35

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8157755.stm

"Meanwhile the National Childbirth Trust has been accused of "scaremongering" for suggesting women delay pregnancy. The Royal College of General Practitioners told the Observer it was a "disproportionate reaction". Alan Johnson, the former health secretary, agreed it was an "overreaction" to say women should not have babies at this time..."

shock

So, are we just meant to stay home? I think it is a personal decision as to whether you stay home, or carry on as normal. But those of us who are pregnant or have small babies can expect all kinds of well meaning advice from now on.

Upwind Sun 19-Jul-09 11:54:37

The times has the headline:

Swine flu: pregnant women told to stay home

"The Royal College of Midwives and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists are recommending changes in lifestyle, including staying indoors when practical. Expectant mothers should also limit the movements of their other children so they do not bring the virus home. "
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lifeandstyle/health/article6719356.ece

What about their DHs? Are they also to limit their movements?

JimmyMcNulty Sun 19-Jul-09 12:13:28

Grrrrreeeaaaaat. Am due in less than 2 weeks and the thought of trying to entertain nearly-3-yo ds at home the whole time makes me want to lie down in a darkened room with an ice pack on my head, flu or no flu. Just can't do it - we will both go nuts.

Had a rotten cold last time I gave birth and that was bad enough. Wonder how long it takes my immune system to get back up to scratch after giving birth? At any rate I'll have a tiny baby and a pre-schooler during the peak outbreak. Oh well. Can't do a lot about it after you've taken basic precautions, so no point worrying.

Upwind Sun 19-Jul-09 12:20:15

Agree Jimmy McNulty, I have a small baby, I won't be limiting my movements because I don't think I would be able to enjoy life, if I did. It might be another six months at least before the danger of contracting this swine flu lessens. I would rather we were exposed to that, than spend most of my baby's first year confined to our home.

We will take basic precautions.

kazbeth Sun 19-Jul-09 12:20:24

The media seems to be saying one thing whilst the in reality it's different. When I rang for medical advice for my 3 year old and then my 6 month old when they developed flu they really couldn't have cared less and didn't even bother getting back to me. It took 4 phone calls to get to speak to someone medical and then it was a case of shrug, just get on with it. If that's the attitude they have to those young children who do get it what's the point of telling you to avoid it.

Upwind Sun 19-Jul-09 12:26:03

Kazbeth - I worry that I wouldn't tell the difference between swine flu in a baby and something more serious. I really wish the plans included a way for sick babies and pregnant women to see doctors as a priority.

I don't care if I can't be seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now