Talk

Advanced search

Henry Allingham has died

(14 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:05:10

sad

He was 113 and I thought he was the loveliest man and just the sort of man I would have loved as a Grandad to my children.

They don't make them like that any more.

RIP Henry.

You will never be forgotten.

Hassled Sat 18-Jul-09 09:06:21

How sad. He always seemed such a lovely guy.

Northernlurker Sat 18-Jul-09 09:08:37

A lovely man and an amazing life - spanning three centuries. Of course friends and family will be sad but he must have been very tired. At peace now.

SlartyBartFast Sat 18-Jul-09 09:10:27

sad

he had same birthday as my dh, but a few many years older smile

he did come across as a lovely man didnt he.. he put his longevity down to women and wine i think

SlartyBartFast Sat 18-Jul-09 09:12:29

actually it is cigarettes whiskey and wild wild women smile

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:12:45

Yes, they said on the news "cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women." grin

2shoes Sat 18-Jul-09 15:17:34

he was a true hero

Frasersmum123 Sat 18-Jul-09 15:30:13

He really was a hero, RIP

TheCrackFox Sat 18-Jul-09 15:31:02

He led an amazing life. I can't comprehend the changes he saw. Some of it wonderful and some of it horrifying.

scaryteacher Sat 18-Jul-09 15:41:23

Really sad, but he saw and did so much. A life well lived.

HarrySaundersSphincter Sat 18-Jul-09 15:44:20

Anyone else watching the prog about him on BBC24?

Three centuries though <mind boggles>. He was basically a Victorian.

Up until a few weeks ago he was doing talks to children - trying to keep stories going.

Sidge Sat 18-Jul-09 15:47:56

RIP Mr Allingham - what an incredible man you were.

From Wiki:

Allingham was the oldest ever surviving member of any of the British Armed Forces and the oldest surviving veteran of the First World War. He was the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland, the last surviving member of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and the last surviving founding member of the Royal Air Force (RAF). From 2001 he had become the face of the World War I veterans' association and made frequent public appearances to ensure that awareness of the death and destruction of World War I was not lost to modern generations. Because of his longevity and his World War I service he was also the recipient of many honours and awards.

We salute you.

Mamazon Sat 18-Jul-09 15:49:12

what a wonderfull man. R.I.P x

HarrySaundersSphincter Sat 18-Jul-09 15:50:49

And he never glorified war - he always said how bloody horrible and pointless it was even while doing your duty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now