whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:12:07

On BBC 1 News....am finding link

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:12:48

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8145389.stm

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Jul-09 22:22:16

How old were they?

Could be a factor.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:25:46

The family are refusing to allow any info to be revealed apparently.

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Jul-09 22:26:11

1-3% of people who contract "nomal" flu die....so it sounds to me as if swine flu is much kinder. I'm in an area where swine flu is prevelent, and think we may have had it (I may be wrong) and am not particularly worried.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:29:03

Well having had it is no guarantee you won't get it again - sadly - the virus may well mutate and you could get it several times as I understand it. We think we've had it but aren't sure - I think it was probably just another virus we had. Who knows?

The people who normally die are mostly those who do have other health problems though.

JudyBlume1019 Fri 10-Jul-09 22:29:55

I'm so worried, it's completely doing my head in. I have three dc, aged 3.8, 2.6 and 14 weeks, and atm I am spending most of my time thinking it's all too good to be true because I can't believe how lucky I am because they are so beautiful and perfect, and I love them so much, and I know that swine flu is going to come along and kill them. That's if the bogeyman or a car doesn't get them first. God, it's a nightmare. I wish I had a crystal ball.

I know what an idiot I sound btw blush

Curiousmama Fri 10-Jul-09 22:31:18

Judy we all think stuff like this not just you. I worry all the time and mine are 8 and 11.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:31:53

Judy - you don't sound like an idiot at all. You are just voicing what a lot of people are feeling.

The good news is that actually your youngest is unlikely to get it if you are very careful with hygiene and the older ones may get it but will get over it. It's much more likely to hit you badly than them. But even so, try and hold onto the 1 in 100,000 die bit. That's pretty good odds.

JudyBlume1019 Fri 10-Jul-09 22:32:31

do you think that thinking this stuff will somehow protect them from anything happening?

JudyBlume1019 Fri 10-Jul-09 22:33:32

I thought that children were most suceptible whomovedmychocolate?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:36:28

No, actually while most children will come into contact with it because they are at school/nursery, and so they are more likely to get it, fit young people (ie 20 - 45) are more likely to have a severe reaction - something called a cytokene storm - your immune system basically goes nuts and over reacts.

Obviously if your kids are fit and healthy they will probably brush it off the same way they brush off around 14 colds a year.

Ninkynork Fri 10-Jul-09 22:38:11

Five minutes from my house. And DD was in a London hospital ward with several cases last week.

nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2009/07/swine-flu-news-update-4-fobbing-off.html

JudyBlume1019 Fri 10-Jul-09 22:40:41

oh god, I've just googled cytokene storm! It's so damn depressing, the whole thing.

I'm not like this in rl. honest

Ninkynork Fri 10-Jul-09 22:47:49

Judy - come clean you fecking journo rascal, you grin

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 22:58:32

Judy it's not depressing - people die of various things every single day. You are more likely to get run over crossing the road while wondering whether you will get swine flu than from the disease itself! hmm

Ninkynork Fri 10-Jul-09 23:04:39

"I am spending most of my time thinking it's all too good to be true because I can't believe how lucky I am because they are so beautiful and perfect, and I love them so much, and I know that swine flu is going to come along and kill them"

Oh FGS it that was the case you would be in bed all day with your DC curled around you savouring every precious moment, every snort and oink even. Not googling things you silly silly woman grin

JudyBlume1019 Fri 10-Jul-09 23:55:53

lol @ journo.
Obviously I'm not spending most of my time worrying about them, I'm actually spending most of my time wiping arses, cooking, cleaning, dropping off and collecting from nursery, wipin up piss and emptying potties, wondering how in earth to get a baby to bed before two small ones without loads of screaming (not mine!), but whenever I get a chance to think aBOUT It, or se something on the news about it, it really does scare me. I know it's pathetic. I wish I was one of those people that could be sensible about it, and feel confident that they/we will be OK, but I'm not. I do pretend to be in rl, but really it's worrying me a lot!

junglist1 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:18:50

That link scared me, it sounded like a lottery, some will get no symptoms some will die? Not happy with the wording AT ALL.

JudyBlume1019 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:27:44

whomovedmychocolate, funny you should say that, I nearly got run over twice the other day, shortly after a man nearly ploughed us down with one of those great big metal wheelie bins.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Jul-09 00:31:24

Dd2 nearly ran in front of a lorry today.

The wiring in this house is old. It could go on fire and kill all of us.

Some drunk arsehole could hit our car and wipe us all out.

My daughters could grow up into teens and meet a partner or stalker who kills them.

My son could join the armed forces and be killed in combat.

They could get on drugs and OD.

I could get cancer from all those damn cigarettes I used to smoke or liver disease from the huge amounts of booze I used to swallow.

Or DH from the cigarettes he still smokes, or be killed at work.

Any number of permutations.

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 11-Jul-09 00:33:40

Well I watched that Catastrophe programme on sky+ last night - the one where Tony Robinson debates whether the entire human race (and the rest of life) will get wiped out by a:

Super volcano
Asteroid
Ice Age

I also recently read Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', so to add to the list above, I also worry about excessive amounts of lead in our bodies, and YellowStone Park exploding, causing severe global climate change.

I only have a tiny bit of room left in my brain left for worrying about other things, and recently watched that 'Survivors' programme, where nearly everyone died from flu, and the remainder had to deal with an anarchic society with no infrastructure. So now I worry about swine flu as well. I get very very cross when I see people sneezing / coughing without covering their mouths.

I spend a lot of my time worrying.

hmm

JudyBlume1019 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:36:18

We went to the doctors the other day, about something non swine flu related and there was a little girl in there who clearly had it, and her mum was saying to the receptionist, "she's just got a cold" and I was SO SO cross.

JudyBlume1019 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:37:08

kwym yearofthecat, but for some reason, I am making space! grrr

JudyBlume1019 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:37:28

grrr was at myself btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now