Forced marriage mother tries to kill her baby

(59 Posts)
uptheduffagain Fri 10-Jul-09 20:26:09

This is a tragic story for all involved

Thankfully the baby has survived

CharCharGabor Fri 10-Jul-09 20:45:33

god that's awful sad

gero Fri 10-Jul-09 21:15:20

The poor woman, driven to insanity by her so called husband and his family. She needs not a prison but a safe care home where she and her baby can been looked after.
The husband and his family appear to be entirely responsible for this tragic case, by their cruel and inhumane treatment.
When are these forced marriages going to become illegal in this civilized country?
No doubt there is some poor girl being lined up as his next "bride".

How can the judge in this case award full custody to this baby's father as if he is entirely innocent?
I hope this woman will receive more love and care from the inmates and prison staff than she ever did from these monsters. sad

littleducks Fri 10-Jul-09 21:18:05

She will deported at the end of her sentence and prob never see child again

Tbh if she was suicidal before i think she will try and kill herself in prison, it would be hell

I suppose if child didnt go to father it would be in care so the father is the better option

FAQinglovely Fri 10-Jul-09 21:19:09

a daughter - in the care of a man who will probably end up forcing the same type of forced marriage living hell onto her?

Frizbe Fri 10-Jul-09 21:23:06

I agree with Gero,very well said. Poor woman sad I hope that she does get contact with her daughter again sad

becklespeckle Fri 10-Jul-09 21:27:34

How very sad sad

expatinscotland Fri 10-Jul-09 21:28:02

This was the reasoning behind the Home Office's recent change in policy regarding spouse visas. That both parties have to be 21.

2kidzandi Fri 10-Jul-09 21:28:58

It's very sad sad and I question whether justice has been done in this case. Sure the husband didn't commit physical violence to his wife, but he surely caused her severe mental harm.angry He and his family obviously broke her. Is it only physical violence that gets counted where women are concerned? His family seem to have a low opinion of women, so what upbringing will the daughter have? Also, I feel it is sad that what the husband wanted happened, in that the woman will ever see her daughter again (not that she should after stabbing her child.) Bet he gets remarried soon. He should have been brought to account as well for effectively mentally torturing his wife. Where is the respect for women, and was an assessment made for post-partum/natal depression? I think what she did is awful, but I don't think she would have done it under normal circumstances.

I haven't made up my mind about whether the 5 year sentance is fair or not sad

dittany Fri 10-Jul-09 21:30:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gero Fri 10-Jul-09 21:31:07

It would have been better for her if she had tried to knife her "husband" instead of the baby (probably the only person she had ever loved and loved her).

The injustice of this case must be blatant to all.

Lets hope the British Muslim women groups can organize some help for her.

Poor baby daughter too, what of her future?

dittany Fri 10-Jul-09 21:32:57

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Jul-09 21:38:22

Heartbreaking. sad

KerryMumbles Fri 10-Jul-09 21:44:38

i am divided on this one. yes she was seriously abused but ffs she stabbed her 8 month old dd in the stomach....

gero Fri 10-Jul-09 21:51:25

What's all this about the solicitor turning up the night before with the injunction? I can't understand this. This mothers fate must not fade into oblivion.
Lets hope the media find out the "fathers" name and he is exposed for his vile treatment of this young girl.
These sorts of cases should serve as warning to other parents trying to "arrange/force marriage" on to their daughters. Dittany, you are right, it is like the dark ages.

dittany Fri 10-Jul-09 21:53:20

littleducks Fri 10-Jul-09 21:58:26

On reading the article again it does say 'fathers family' so perhaps the father will be charged with something

I hope the media doesnt find out the fathers name though as the poor child has suffered enough without this following her around her whole life

littleducks Fri 10-Jul-09 21:59:06

have you read another article gero, is she muslim?

gero Fri 10-Jul-09 22:07:40

Bangladesh is 87.9% muslim, she had her head and body covered in court so I was making a logical assumption.

hatesponge Fri 10-Jul-09 22:10:52

I found this unbelievably sad

Had she stabbed and wounded her husband she might even have escaped a custodial sentence. however, she could well have been deported (without her daughter) in any event so the final outcome wouldn't be much different.

I'm not sure what should happen to the little girl. I feel uneasy about her remaining with her father & his family, but the mothers family are all outside the UK. I presume then she would have to be put into care.

It's so sad that anyone could be so desperate as to react in such an extreme way.

Divatheshopaholic Fri 10-Jul-09 22:24:42

what a tragic, what heartbreaking, poor poor woman, she must have lived in hell.

Reallytired Fri 10-Jul-09 22:28:25

I think its a case of diminished responsiblity. The woman needs medical treatment rather than jail.

edam Fri 10-Jul-09 22:50:30

Oh, that poor woman. And who the hell thinks giving residence to the family that victimised this poor woman is a good idea? What kind of life will the poor baby have with them?

And what the hell was the 'solicitor' doing, serving a woman with an injunction ordering her to leave her baby behind and fuck off out of the country?

edam Fri 10-Jul-09 22:51:08

(DO hope Southall Black Sisters or a similar organisation takes this on.)

hatesponge Fri 10-Jul-09 23:46:25

Edam - I thought the same thing re SBS but couldnt remember whether that organisation was still going. Hopefully so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now