Talk

Advanced search

Ryanair - Free flights if you stand all the way. Hilarious!

(10 Posts)
poopscoop Mon 06-Jul-09 14:14:55

on sky news the boss of ryanair said he will soon be flying passengers for free if you stand. shock hmm]

Imagine taking off? Madness. Gotta be a joke. Mind you ryanair is a joke...

Fimbo Mon 06-Jul-09 14:17:50

Same thread here

He'll say anything for publicity. Really can't see why Sky are pandering to him and promoting it. Its not like its ever going to happen, really can't see the CAA allowing it. I'm flying with them on Friday, maybe I should refuse to take a seat and stand in aisle and demand a refund. hmm

mayorquimby Mon 06-Jul-09 15:46:19

i think he's great. out of interest why do you think the CAA wouldn't allow it?
i mean we stand on trains and buses without protection. what they are suggesting is a stool-like contraption so you'd still be strapped in for take-off/landing/turbulence but standing/leaning so there'd be more room,thus more passengers and hopefully cheaper flights.
i realise that it's most likely a publicity stunt and won't happen, but surely at some point in the future it will with some airline.
i'm just wondering why past the initial shock of "people standing on planes" headline which most of us will dismiss as ludicrous, why is it so unfeasible?
if i was flying to london or maybe even some parts of northern spain or france (approx 2.5 hours flight time) i'd happily stand for a cheaper fligh

AnyFucker Mon 06-Jul-09 15:57:15

I spend 90% of the time on a flight standing, or walking around, anyway

I am tall so am hideously uncomfortable in the tiny area they have the cheek to call a "seat"

bring it on, I say

poopscoop Mon 06-Jul-09 17:29:32

oh but can you imagine going through turbulence?

This all reminds me of those sardines packed into comuter trains. I have done that and it is awful.

SoupDragon Mon 06-Jul-09 17:31:48

Is there not a weight limit for planes whereby they can't fit any more people on??

Cos I think the CAA have tighter regulations than there are for tubes/trains. Which is probably why there there are fewer accidents.

It wouldn't be safe because they'd cram more people on and in the event of an emergency evacuation there would be too many people to get them off. You need to be able (if poss) to get off a crashed plane faster than a tube/train as there is far more liklihood of it catching fire. So a speedy evacuation is essential

mumblechum Mon 06-Jul-09 17:34:52

I'm amazed Ryanair is still in business. Have never flown with them and the one time I thought about it the website made me so nauseous I couldn't get any further.

Podrick Mon 06-Jul-09 17:37:02

You have just 2 minutes to get off a plane if it crashes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now