Talk

Advanced search

Children killed in tower block fire

(16 Posts)
limonchik Fri 03-Jul-09 23:22:07

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8133871.stm

How awful - and a real worry for people who live in tower blocks. My sister was walking by earlier and could see people shouting for help from windows

limonchik Fri 03-Jul-09 23:23:01

BBC link

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 04-Jul-09 09:03:51

6 people have died including 3 childrensad

Really tragic.

sassy Sat 04-Jul-09 09:06:21

Terrible. one a three week old baby I believe.

TwoIfBySea Sat 04-Jul-09 12:01:09

It sounds horrendous, don't they have sprinkler systems in high rises? And with this weather it would have spread so quickly.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 04-Jul-09 15:18:12

terrible news so sad for all the families affected.

Yurtgirl Sat 04-Jul-09 15:19:38

jellybeans Sat 04-Jul-09 15:20:26

How sad I have always though tower blocks are so dangerous for this kind of reason.

CherryChoc Sat 04-Jul-09 19:37:05

Oh I have just seen this on the news How horiffic it must have been for the residents. I know that what these kind of buildings replaced was a lot worse but they really are death traps, it's so sad I feel very priviliged to live in a nice, safe, terrace, no matter how small it is.

2kidzandi Sun 05-Jul-09 11:59:40

I'm angryangry This is the year 2009 for goodness sake! It might as well be 5000 BC. People have a basic right to safe housing, decent housing that allows space for family. At the very least. Why do we still have these monolithic, dinosaur housing blocks? At the moment unless you can afford to buy, getting a decent place (and by decent I mean safe with at least 2 bedrooms)is a lottery draw.
Consider some of the MPs who found it simply intolerable that their child/ren should have to share a room, or that they should have to travel long distances without a second home. Why do politicians insist that those less well off should live in conditions they themselves would find intolerable? They have managed to find the money for an entire Olympic villiage. So it's just that no one really cares until this sort of tragedy happens (doubtless some spokes person will say the building was previously thought to be safe/ good track record etc etc) It's very sad for the children and familiessad

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sun 05-Jul-09 12:13:08

2kids I agree- what landllords, especially private ones can get away with is horrififc

this may also be a good time to remind people that they can get a free fire safety check that includes escape routes from their fire station, and to check thir smoke alarms also

kylesmybaby Sun 05-Jul-09 12:15:49

totally agree.

Frasersmum123 Sun 05-Jul-09 19:10:54

I agree with you 2kids

Such a sad loss

CherryChoc Sun 05-Jul-09 19:48:43

It wasn't a privately owned block though - it was council housing.

TBH even if there are fire alarms and sprinkler systems etc in large blocks of flats that isn't enough, last year we lived in a brand new build block of flats, mentioned to the site office that the fire alarms in the communal stairwell were bleeping due to low backup batteries, they stopped, we assumed batteries had been changed, but when we went in to read the electricity meter were shocked to find they'd simply been switched off at the mains fuse shock especially awful since there had been an electrical fire in the building in one of the other flats (before we moved in) - we moved out before our tenancy even ended.

Basic housing should have basic fire escape provisions, especially if they are too high up to climb out of windows.

Starbear Sun 05-Jul-09 23:29:00

Just wondered what I can do to help from a distance?

NormaSknockers Mon 06-Jul-09 07:50:24

That is so sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now