Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet biscuit discussion quoted in 'Time'

(81 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:34:14

Actually it is banging on about our hundreds of swine flu parties:

"Parents in Britain have long held "chicken pox parties" at the beginning of summer so that children can catch the disease at a convenient time." hmm

"The British press has reported that discussions about Swine Flu parties first began in earnest on the website mumsnet.com, a web portal for decidedly middle class British mothers (one of the most active forums this week: "Crucial biscuit question - which are posher: Rich Teas or Custard creams?)"

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 09:35:31

<<Thud>>

LupusinaLlamasuit Fri 03-Jul-09 09:36:40

I do hope they also read the link about the Theology of Biscuits.

KingCanuteIAm Fri 03-Jul-09 09:37:04

Fab, just goes to show you can make anything appear to be whatever you want it to be with a bit of hard work... no mention of dependant drinkers, bum sex, council house waiting lists or woolworths cinema tickets then? hmm

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:37:48

There's a good quote from you Justine, now that you are an internationally recognised expert on swine flu grin:

"The truth of the matter is either you should get it now or try to avoid getting it — you can't have it both ways. It's so easy to give a glib representation of ignorant parents who are acting hysterically"

Tee hee I bet you wish you'd stuck to biscuit chat

MamaG Fri 03-Jul-09 09:38:15

shock

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:39:13

Justine did you see yourself quoted in ABC yesterday, totally made up:

"Justine Roberts is the founder of the website Mumsnet.com and says it is better kids pick up the virus now before it might mutate."

shock

KingCanuteIAm Fri 03-Jul-09 09:48:47

shock

I always knew they twisted things, that is no shock but I must admit I am surprised at them totally making things up - is this normal then?

BelleSeuss Fri 03-Jul-09 09:49:08

Heard this being discussed on radio 4 yesterday, although thankfully Mumsnet wasn't misrepresented mentioned.

Unfortunately I suspect some lazy journo's are using Mumsnet as a human interest angle to jazz up government press releases - I seem to have missed a big debate on here, now it will be urban myth!

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 03-Jul-09 09:49:51

Oh dear god now a load of Americans think we are all (a) middle class and (b) nutcases.

And that posh biscuit thread will not be interpreted as the lighthearted silly thread it was, it will actually be looked at as proof that english, middle-class women really do have a biscuity class system.

Lol, though grin

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:52:11

Lol I know

we are arguing to the death about CUSTARD BISCUITS

could that BE any more British?

PortAndLemon Fri 03-Jul-09 09:52:45

grin

<pats Justine reassuringly on shoulder>

Any publicity is good publicity, right...?

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 09:53:29

MP: "now that you are an internationally recognised expert on swine flu"

When in fact what I ought to be is an internationally-recognised expert on Custard Creams.

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:54:15

True Justine

Not Tunnock's biccies though because you are too posh dim to know what they are

guvk Fri 03-Jul-09 09:54:30

Lupus, lol. I was hoping it was the biscuit theology thread, too.

KingCanuteIAm Fri 03-Jul-09 09:55:27

Phah, it was not at all britich. Honeslty, do you think any middle class british woman worth her doilies would let a custard cream <hisses> near her biscuit barrel?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 03-Jul-09 09:56:28

I think the comment about MN being "decidely middle class" and then that the most popular topic is whether RT or CC biscuits are more posh - is taking the piss tbh. And trying to make fun of us. shockhmm

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 09:56:51

What are Tunnocks?

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 09:59:08

well quite

mollyroger Fri 03-Jul-09 10:00:13

and to think that I (who am not m/c) avoided the whole biscuit thread, because as any fule no, the poshest biscuit is the sort of biscuoit nobody ever eats. like arrowroot. I Wish I had known it was a pivotal, essence of Mumsnet threrad grin!

Jeez, how embarrassing for you Justine!

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 10:01:06

I'll live MollyR.

bleh Fri 03-Jul-09 10:01:21

Maybe the Time journos perusing MN [waves at journos perusing MN] didn't quite understand what "bumsex" was, so thought it was safer to stick to biscuits.

For said journos: bumsex could be translated into American as "fanny sex".

mollyroger Fri 03-Jul-09 10:05:12

I'd offer you a soothing cup of tea and a nice biscuit Justine. But...but...it's a minefield, innit?

Jaffa cake anyone?

BelleSeuss Fri 03-Jul-09 10:05:37

Phew, I knew the Biscuits were the bigger issue here! I read that thread!

[waves at journos too]

[gets back to glamping her tent with bunting wink ]

mollyroger Fri 03-Jul-09 10:05:56

lol bleh, bumsex probably translates as bad sex.
Or sex with a gentleman of the road!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now