Talk

Advanced search

They're nationalising the East Coast Line!

(7 Posts)
bleh Wed 01-Jul-09 09:56:49

This is my bugbear: privatised public services (and the result of: crap service, super-high prices).

Is this the beginning of the end? I am (rather sadly) incredibly happy.

business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6615184.ece

edam Wed 01-Jul-09 10:07:31

I'd love them to nationalise the railways but sadly last time they took a franchise back they sold it off again (Connex, IIRC, somewhere in the South East). Apparently we couldn't possibly have a nationalised railway showing up all the rest, could we...

East Coast franchise has failed before, when the previous franchisees (who provided a good service as far as I could see) paid too much for it and couldn't keep it going.

WinkyWinkola Wed 01-Jul-09 10:09:23

Well, let's hope if it remains nationalised, that the standards of service and prices remain at a good consumer level. Not that those have been at a good consumer level when privatised.

And I hope the public will get good services instead of being continually being ripped off by the privileged few who cream off massive profits.

I'm not a communist, honestly! grin

bleh Wed 01-Jul-09 10:17:02

I used to travel it frequently, and the service itself, as the travelling time was cut down significantly, but, the cost is unbelievable. I really, really hope that this works out.

monkeytrousers Thu 02-Jul-09 21:10:24

sound like a very GB thing to do!

monkeytrousers Thu 02-Jul-09 21:10:56

or sounds, rather grin

southeastastra Thu 02-Jul-09 21:12:11

my dad will be happy, he's always going on about the beetching report

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now