He had asked for 12

here

hifi Mon 29-Jun-09 17:47:34

he will be sooooo old when he gets out.

IkeaCatalogue Mon 29-Jun-09 17:48:55

HAH

thieving git

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 17:52:42

why 150? why not 120 or why don't they just say, you won;t leave until the end of your life?

such greed. quite, quite shocking.

mayorquimby Mon 29-Jun-09 18:40:28

still not sure how i feel about this, or these type of sentences. i know they are much harsher in america and have given gang members/paedos/serial killers crazy 99 year sentences which can never possibly be served. but if this person had no prior convictions and killed someone they'd have a chance at seeing the light of day. but not for stealing (an admittedly obscene amount of cash)
i just find it hard to see how stealing any amount of cash can be viewed as worse than murder, althugh i do accept it is largely there to deter any future launderers from doing the same.

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 18:43:49

i know what you mean, Mayorquimby, however one person has committed suicide due to being a victim of this scam

he has ruined a great number of lives and has caused such stress and heartache

not that it is equivalent to taking a life by your own hand, but he acted so callously and selfishly, not caring what happened to those he was scamming and hwo they would cope, penniless .

his actions are heinous and white collar crime is not victimless, he deserves a looooong sentence

mayorquimby Mon 29-Jun-09 19:01:10

oh no i'm glad to see him locked up and perhaps if white collar crime received prison sentences more often there wouldn't be a need to make an example in the rare cases where they do decide to incarcerate.
it's just that on the surface it seems to say that taking a ridiculous amount of money is worthy of more punishment than taking a life.
i suppose it's just the contrast of the army officer in ireland (i know completely different legal systems so the sentencing is bound to be different,but they were back to back stories on the radio) today who got 2 or so years for molestation.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Mon 29-Jun-09 19:05:37

Seems that if he caused a suicide he did take life in effect.

No sympathies I am afraid.

ABetaDad Mon 29-Jun-09 19:14:12

He swindled a lot of people out of a lot of money. He deserves no sympathy - but there are plenty more people who will never serve time who lost a lot of poor pensioners' money in the USA, UK and elsewhere.

The whole financial system is rotten and I can say that for sure because I work in it. The bankers and politicians are even now engaged in a complex negotiation over shedding liabilities (and responsibility) and getting the whole game going again.

I can tell you now where this whole mess will get dumped - yes the taxpayer and the pensioner - and its just a matter of working out how to do it without anyone noticing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now