Talk

Advanced search

Fat Celebs 'make obesity normal'

(15 Posts)
Nahui Mon 29-Jun-09 11:49:21

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Mon 29-Jun-09 11:51:25

Can't help thinking that it's a healthy minor corrective to the overwhelming number of skinnies in the media.

Bucharest Mon 29-Jun-09 11:52:22

I don't think they do make it acceptable. Your bloke on G and S if I remember rightly started off on that drama thing where they were all fat and trying to lose weight didn't he?
Then you get your Ferns and your Shazzas who have the gastric band...and get slagged off for that....Can't win really.
I can't think of too many really fat people on tv tbh. Peter Kay, James Corden. Who else?

I do think there's a difference between overweight (which I believe about 80% of us are) and "dangerously" overweight.

Nancy66 Mon 29-Jun-09 11:52:55

I don't agree with him - it's still very rare to see fat people on TV or in movies. Despite being concerned about our obesity epidemic I hate the way that overweight people are portrayed on Tv - look at Heather in EE - they're always shown to be hapless losers.

Nahui Mon 29-Jun-09 11:58:23

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 12:02:18

i think the sooner the media cotton on to the fact that more people are not a size zero and want to see normal sized people , the better

can barely think of a handful of overweight slebs

i think overweight people in teh public eye are a truer reflection of society

i think representing more types of people is a good thing:" not just slim, white, photogenic slebs.

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-09 12:06:48

I am far more concerned that lack of talent, personality, ability or self worth is no barrier to celebrity tbh. Let's look at things people actually try to emulate.

It's just DM thinly-veiled fattism.

They don't make it something to aspire to, it's just a fact. James Corden, comedian, actor, writer, celebrity, also happens to be overweight. I don't look at him and think 'ooh I really want to be on telly, obviously putting on weight is the way to do it.'

Fecking article, insulting and shoddy.

Bucharest Mon 29-Jun-09 12:07:11

I think "normal" is the key- more people who are size 14 and not size 8 on screen. And for Fern's fluctuating weight not to be newsworthy. Because, actually, it isn't.

Nancy66 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:09:31

i have a friend who is an actress - she auditioned for a move in LA - she's size 10 -5ft 6 and about 9 and half stone....was told to lose...wait for it....20 pounds!

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-09 12:10:17

I know it's not the DM btw, just meant that the article promotes that kind of vibe, that it's alright to focus on weight in relation to anything (particularly success) and to draw crackpot tenuous links.

Also not denying national obesity problem, or the fact that people try to emulate their idols, it's the oversimplification of it and a lack of engagement with real ideas that could change obesity levels.

Oh but I'm in a waffly mood.

charis Mon 29-Jun-09 12:12:58

You wouldn't want him to be your doctor would you?

We should definately ban people with a high bmi from even leaving the house. What kind of example does it set for our children? Fool.

I think there is enough pressure in society towards a healthy weight without doctors encouraging fatty bashing.

AMumInScotland Mon 29-Jun-09 12:51:02

I can't imagine young impressionable people seeing overweight successful people in the media and thinking "I want to be like that" in the way that they may do when they see skinny succesful people.

They are more likely to think "they are successful in spite of their weight" rather than "they are successful because of their weight".

I think we are more affected by all the everyday people we see around us into not realising what a healthy weight is, and by the change in clothes labelling.

I have a new pair of size 14 shorts which are baggy on me. Yet somehow an old denim skirt I have (also size 14 but about 20 years old) won't get anywhere near going round my gut. So am I really still a size 14?

Frasersmum123 Mon 29-Jun-09 16:58:01

I thinks thats the biggest load of crap ever!

funtimewincies Mon 29-Jun-09 19:59:54

I wonder if he's got a grant proposal coming up or a paper being presented soon at a key conference hmm.

No other reason for such codswallop!

cory Mon 29-Jun-09 22:44:26

I take it professor McMahon is not an opera buff then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now